General how is your mpg on a new 500?

Currently reading:
General how is your mpg on a new 500?

serpico

i've just been through my first full tank on a 1.2 500
= 273 miles before the range went to 0!

that equates to 37mpg... nowhere near the quoted 55mpg

(this is for mixed motorway/city driving)

is it to be expected???

xx:confused:

48.5 mpg indicated on a 1.2 over first 100 miles, taking it reasonably (not very) easy and changing up at <3500 usually.

Also, pokey little beggar the 1.2.

Not great but when I picked it up I was stuck in a 1 mile jam for 3 hours so that must have ruined it :(
Seem to be improving now I'm on my second tank though

Hi- first few tankfulls it was only doing 38 mpg (mostly around town). Car has now done 1800 miles and recently returned 51mpg on a 300 mile weekend trip (including some town and a fair bit of both motorway cruising @ high speed and a fair bit of stop start heavy traffic). Don't worry it will loosen up!

Don't go too gently on it, it can actually ruin the engine if you constantly drive it slowly! Never rev it hard within the first 20 minutes of travel, but after that you should give it the odd push. Mine returns 43mpg if I'm constantly going everywhere as fast as possible, and about 48 if I'm driving normally. I've had it to 53 by really trying hard but that's no fun!

The MPG is generally lower during the first few thousand miles though, you'll be able to tell when the engine has been run in as it loosens up a lot and feels smoother and more responsive.

Think I should limit the revs some more?

you are doing fine for revs, the car just needs time and distance to loosen up.

My 1.2 Panda has done 33.500 miles so it's doing great now, but don't forget I drive for economy and she spends (on average) 75% of the time on motorways.

Trev

is it to be expected???

Your first mistake is relying on the range in the dash.

Earlier this week mine went to the three dashes. Did another 56 miles to the petrol station.

Fill it to the brim, drive, refill to brim. calculate actual mileage.

My trip suggests 67 mpg average, its closer to 70 when worked out based on actual usage.

Cheers

SPD

is it to be expected???

My tip, brim the car to the maximum till you can see visually that it won't take anymore fuel and each time do this, this way you can be sure that you're getting an accurate measurement.

My tip, brim the car to the maximum till you can see visually that it won't take anymore fuel and each time do this, this way you can be sure that you're getting an accurate measurement.

That's good advice, we need more 500s on fuelly, there are only 4 showing so far that have at least 3 fill ups.

Trev

Back