How hard is it to learn...........................

Currently reading:
How hard is it to learn...........................

about 4.67

depends on how IT literate you are, how well you can learn new things, loads of variables. Just get yourself some books and start learning. Obviously start with HTML and once you get the idea of that learn a language like JAVA. That will teach you the fundamentals of programming and every new language after that will be just a slightly different way of doing these rules.

i learnt the basics of .asp , html and sql in 6 months , it should of been a lot sooner but i dicked around

some programs do most of the coding for you, although for some reason i like to hard code by modifying and borrowing bits from the web :eek:

there are loads of books and resources available to get you started, but dont get any "....... for dummies" , cause they dont go into much depth

all of them? 10-20 years fully probably... you could really just pick one and focus on it... its hard to explain really but they are all user friendily in one respect.

if you just want to learn one web language i would recommend PHP4 as it is most popular i would say, that and good html/css knolage and you will go far.

Cheers,
Ryan Edge

Got the chance of starting one of these fast track computer courses and the training is all about the various languages used in software development, the training consists of 1 month on 1 month off lab based training with Consultants leading to Microsoft Certification.

Liam

PHP and mySQL is to learn, and learning PHP from an object orientated aspect helps alot when it comes to learning java.

Java isnt easy to learn, but it just takes practice really. Dont try running before you can walk ;) (ie start small and build on your skills otherwise you'll confuse yourself and that takes ages to sort). Ive been doing it for 3 years, and still only know a small part :eek:

Fully fledged SQL is also a doddle if you can get your head around database concepts. Im not just talking about the usual 'SQL', as theres a little more to it - 3 types : DML (manipulation), DDL (definition) and DCL (control). The problems you will encounter coming from learning mySQL to SQL, or SQL to mySQL is they sometimes use different syntax and keywords - so can get confusing sometimes. But the concepts are all the same.

HTML should take you about an hour to learn, it really is simple stuff. Practice makes perfect though :)

Ive not touched ASP as i didnt like the look of it, and should be learning XML later this year so can answer the question then ;)

ive been doing php and sql for about a year now, and i can say i love it and once u get the concepts, it's mostly logic :)

they're all quite vast, i know bits of all them - but i wouldnt say i know them. Once you understand the logic of modern programming, you can apply that any langauge and then its a case of simply learning the syntax and any tricks the langugage can do.

I was taught to program origonally in pascal (ha!), then last year Java, c and c++ - this year i'm doing php, asp, oracle, mysql, xml and .net cf at the mo - and i'm just applying the logic i learnt last year with most of it. (sql based ones are a tad different mind!)

.html is obviously the easiest (and required to do the rest anyway)

.asp is probably the easiest of all the server side scripting languages, however also the least powerful - for many advanced functions you require seperate components to be installed.

.php is the one i would recommend you do if you are just starting a fresh. Comes with many libraries which can allow you to do pretty much anything you need. (also doesn't require a windows server to operate, as true ASP does)

the basics of sql are the same across the board, however mySQL doesn't yet support all the functionality of SQL Server, so code is not always interchangeable.

XML isn't a programming language of sorts but more a way of data exchange - you can therefore use it within your desired language (asp, php, etc etc)

If you are thinking of a career move, Java would be a good language as it is highly sort after (well it is here anyway) and the schematics of it will allow you to pick up C++ easily (or easier than if you only did scripting languages) - however personally I hate it and it provides no fun for me at all....

Recommended course of action - html (and CSS, can be very useful) followed by php + mysql. You'll then be able to make some pretty cool sites from base, and then decide if you want to take anything any further.

ben said:
Recommended course of action - html (and CSS, can be very useful) followed by php + mysql. You'll then be able to make some pretty cool sites from base, and then decide if you want to take anything any further.

Javascript is worth learning around the same time too, helps reduce the amount of server side processing that doesnt need to be there. :)

yea but then with client side scripting, you're relying on the client being setup properly - keeping it all server side and things are more likely to work all the time!

Back