Technical How difficult is to change a starter motor on a MK1 Punto

Currently reading:
Technical How difficult is to change a starter motor on a MK1 Punto

black bravo man

Hi all just wondered as ive exhaused all avenues and i keep coming back in my head it has to be a dead starter motor or least thats whats i can only put it down to now, so was jsut wondering how diffcult is it to change a starter motor on a 1998 MK1 Fiat Sporting Punto, is the starter motor the same as the standard MK1 Punto and have you any tips for me along the way along with my haynes manual??

Manythanks as always everyone

Steve

dunno about sport model, but easy enough on standard mk1.

The most difficult aspects;
1) Feeling where the bolts are and working a bit blind
2)Removing it once bolts and wires are off - I found it easier to drop it down, rather than remove it from the top.

Quite a tricky thing to get at but not a hard thing to replace really.

If it were me, I would remove the inlet manifold first as it will give you much, much better access to the starter. Infact I wouldn't even bother trying without removing the inlet manifold and throttle body.

Doesn't have to come out fully so you can leave the fuel lines connected, but if you unbolt it from the head and disconnect everything bar the fuel lines, it has enough room to be moved out of the way and you can get easy access to the starter. Then its just a few bolts and wires to get it out.

@b.b.m.:

So, you're not sure, if the starter is dead?
I read https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/304549-update-my-battery-situation-please-help-if-poss.html

If someone pushes your car, or you roll down a hill, and then it starts; then it is very likely to be your starter - and not necessarily mean that the starter is dead.

Take it out and test it. Mine was like that for years.

I'd bet that its mechanical seizure, rather than an electrical problem.
When you take it out, you can check the mechanical elements with screwdrivers/levers, to ensure that they move freely.

With patience, you can strip the starter motor and solenoid - three long and small diameter bolts with 2 screws.
Just be careful when assembling that you can press the brushes back into their guides (against their spring actions), to mount them onto the diameter with the copper conductors (slip rings, or whatever they're called).

I forget the step by step procedure that i used, but it got easier .

Back