How Bothered Are You About Your Engine?

Currently reading:
How Bothered Are You About Your Engine?

Hey all,

I was wondering how much people care about warming their engines up before going over into the high rev ranges?

with the punto, i let the temp guage get to half and give it another 5 minuites at least before i go over 2.5k i know this is probably way past being obbsesive, wondered how everyone else done it...

I also try to get it to full temp before turning it off.

I'd imagine the car wont be mine way before any of this not being done will cause problems.

Most of my mates laughed when i said you should take it easy for a bit before it warms up.

anyway whats everyones thoughts?

cheers(y)

My car rarely exceeds 3.5k rpm (petrol 1.2) anyway. In a 30 limit I tend to get through the gears at low revs to try and stop me getting past 30 unintentionally and the only time it does get shoved past 3.5k rpm is on the A50 after it has had about 10 miles to warm up and only if the traffic is bad enough to need that to get on or move from between trucks into the next lane.

i dont think it matters as much with modern oils. I usualy wait till my megasquirt enrichment turns off. so anything from 5mins (in the -5 weather we had) to about 2 is mins on a warmer day.
obviously i dont mean flooring it off the rev limiter but just drive as normal.

just give it enough time to get a good amount of oil around the engine

A colleague of mine spent 15 years in the RAF and has an overly (in my opinion) obsessive attitude to warming up his engine. He won't exceed 2000 revs or 50 mph until the gauge is showing normal, but then his Golf diesel has done 150,000 miles. Personally in the Panda MJ, I find there is a self imposed rev limit as for the first couple of miles as it doesn't want to rev cleanly until there is some heat in the engine. Having said that, I don't normally see the high side of 2,500 revs. In the wife's Stilo 1.4 it's pretty much the same. Modern oils don't take anywhere near as long to warm up as they used to do so I suppose, if the car's only been parked up overnight, most of the components will still have a good coating of oil at the top end, which is important. If a car has been standing for maybe a week or more a lot of the oil will have drained back into the sump. Even then it would only take a matter of (a guess) 30 seconds to get oil to the camshaft(s). I first learned to drive at the tail end of an era where many people, with 6,000 mile service intervals would use a thin winter oil and in summer put in a thicker summer oil

I imagine that its like a choke on his FI system

:yeahthat: all cars with fuel injection do it i just have a light on the ecu to say when its on. it just injects a little more fuel just after start up to keep everything smooth.

I would say regular oil changes and good maintenance is FAR more likely to have an good effect on your engine then what you do with your food while the car is cold

I always let the GP warm up to so temp gauge needle is in the middle before I even think about going over 2.5k revs, I am very careful - it is FIAT after all! :rolleyes:

Maybe I should start being a bit more harsh to the car.

I always take it easy until the temp gauge shows the heats built up, especially with this crappy cold weather we've got the now. Had to take ice off my car every day this week :(
Usually change gear at about 2.5k until its warm enough, thats time for me to get to the Mway anyway.

I warm mine up slowly and warm it down slowly too... gotta take care of that blower and its bearings!

Yes, it's become force of habit, the bike always got warmed up until the needle moved passed the first mark, the car gets warmed up till the idle speed settles and then the revs are kept lowish until it's properly warm.

What ffoxy said....always let it warm up before pushing it too hard. Also, just as important to let the turbo spin down before turning off the ignition.

Hasn't made a difference though as the turbo is still shagged :p

Back