Technical Hot oily smell coming through air vents?

Currently reading:
Technical Hot oily smell coming through air vents?

Many years ago on an old Citroën, I had a strange tarry smell coming into the cabin. But it didn't go away as I drove along, and the road hadn't been resurfaced.
I pulled into a car park and opened the bonnet, to find a little fountain of petrol from a split fuel line spraying on to the engine.

I can’t tell the difference between engine and gearbox oil these days

I don’t know if my nose has changed or the oils we now use

I have a bottle of each here and wouldn’t like to call it.
Blimey. It must be your nose. Our gearbox oil stank so bad it made me feel sick, Sulphur content I suppose. Even the leaky breather I mentioned didnt manage that. Not nice though I grant you.

Gearbox shifter seal can leak enough to make a horrible mess. It's hidden at the back of the gearbox under the battery so hard to see from above. It will stink as the engine gets hot. It's not a hard job to fix but the mechanism is easy to reassemble incorrectly.

You need the seal, roll pin and ideally a new C clip though the latter can be reused.

Blimey. It must be your nose. Our gearbox oil stank so bad it made me feel sick, Sulphur content I suppose. Even the leaky breather I mentioned didnt manage that. Not nice though I grant you.
Depends on brand I think. I certainty wouldn’t use smell as a diagnostic aid these days

Pure sulphur has no smell

I poured a little into a dish last night. Smelt just like engine oil. Not got much left I just filled up an oil can with some of the left over and chucked the bottle away so don’t know which brand. It’s pretty much doesn’t smell of anything this morning.

I had a bowl of drained gearbox oil in the bathroom for a few days. Until the car was fixed and it could be disposed of. I never noticed any smell nor did anyone else

Amsoil MTG apparently doesn’t smell according to the internet
and some GM smells of grapes

Possibly to improve workers conditions or maybe so customers don’t complain when a worker accidentally spills some

This is diff oil made to smell nice

E7E57A9B-FF51-4C95-B458-B062216E5897.png

Last edited:
Gearbox shifter seal can leak enough to make a horrible mess. It's hidden at the back of the gearbox under the battery so hard to see from above. It will stink as the engine gets hot. It's not a hard job to fix but the mechanism is easy to reassemble incorrectly.

You need the seal, roll pin and ideally a new C clip though the latter can be reused.
Please read my original post. That has been checked and is dry.
I changed it a few years back.

Back