Technical Hot Brava

Currently reading:
Technical Hot Brava

wuffles

Had problem first noticed at weekend with my 1.6 running hot. The temp gauge went to the dot before the red dot. Coming to work on monday the guage again went higher than normal. Phoned a garage and they said they will look at it tuesday/wednesday. Turns out they will look at it wednesday. The question I have is whether its safe to drive it home then back to work tomorrow or if I should leave it here. On the way in this morning I just turned the engine off when stuck in traffic then turned the heater to max and put the fan at 2 then 3 which caused the guage to drop. The guage sometimes seems to wobble between 2 points but the air from the heater seems very hot.

From a quick read of some similar posts the fact that the heater seems to cool the engine suggests and engine problem, but the guage fluctuating sounds like a contact issue. I am useless with cars, had a quick look under the bonnet and could see I have coolant and have got oil but thats about my limit of knowledge. I dont want to have to leave the car at work really but I also dont want to do anything risky with it. The journey is only a few miles and generally takes 10-15 mins.

Another thing is that the acceleration seems more sluggish than normal at times but I have no idea if this is related or not. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Back