General Hot air pipe!!

Currently reading:
General Hot air pipe!!

Does anyone know what purpose there is for a strange bit of pipe on my Panda which looks like a bodge job.
It is on top of the hole on the manifold header and goes into the hole on the airbox.

Surely I dont want exhaust gasses going in to the air intake?
Not only will there be little air but it will also be hot - this cant be right surely?

Is this for the winter of something?

Shall I just take it off and if so is it OK that the hole in the manifold is not plugged?

Cheers
Jonathan

It's part of the hot / cold air intake selector, it's useful for cold starting and economy on steady speed running.
There's no exhaust gas going up through that pipe, it's just a duct to collect warm air.

You could remove it if you liked, but it won't give any significant improvements in anything - you need to go for induction kits and cold air feeds before anything will be noticeable.

Don't block it,

When cold a bimetallic valve in the air box diverts the air flow to draw in air from this pipe. It uses the exhaust manifold to heat up the incoming air and so in Winter it is beneficial.

If you you block it up, when the valve switches over at low temperatures it will effectively close the air intake to the engine.

You can try larger diameter metal tubing, though mainly for cosmetic effect. It is a cheap bit of tubing and tends to perish, but replacements are very cheap.

Some Y10's have a metallic blue air box, so a metallic blue piece of tubing would match that nicely.

Back