Hospital Trip

Currently reading:
Hospital Trip

AppleSei said:
I can stand the injections, in a way i am happy to take them, cos i know they are doing all things good

Its the blood samples thats draining me, my finger ends are shot to pieces and i am always on edge, think im gonna go hypo, so checking evrytime i feel faint or summat. Im sure this is just initial nerves and will disappear over time

When I was first picked up with it I was checking every 2 hours, as they had done in the hospital for the 3/4 days I was in, now I do it once every couple of days unless I feel a bit down. The novelty of pricking yourself will wear off:) .

Steve

AppleSei said:
I can stand the injections, in a way i am happy to take them, cos i know they are doing all things good

Its the blood samples thats draining me, my finger ends are shot to pieces and i am always on edge, think im gonna go hypo, so checking evrytime i feel faint or summat. Im sure this is just initial nerves and will disappear over time

yes ur fingers will get used to that, but if you vary it and use a different finger each time it's not so bad.

You will learn to understand your body and no when you are or not ok, it takes a bit of time, but you will get there, take as much advice from your diabetic nurse and dietician as possible.

When i was in hospital over xmas my sugars very v v low and I ended up on a drip and taking hydrostop, this is something they might give u as well, it is a form of dextrose (sugar)that you eat when u have low sugars as it brings it up slowly rather than really quick burst of energy and then a drop again.

I no it's easy to say but try not to panic about hypos, u get warning signs listen to your body and let it guide you as to what it needs, also read anything that you were given from the hospital, so anything you don't understand you can ask questions about tomorrow.

but for now if you do start to feel faint, try eating sugary carbohydrate such as a biscuit or maybe lucozade something like that, it might also be worth thinking about carrying something around with you to be on the safe side, but try not to eat something very sugary as all this will do is bring up ur sugars too fast and they will drop again n that's not good. Once you are feeling a bit better eat some protien perhaps a meat sarnie to keep ur sugar stable, but they will explain all this tomorrow.

This is the official website for BDA, it might be worth having a look.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk

Good Luck(y)

AppleSei said:
No

You are allowed 6 units of alcohol per day (1.5 pints)

Anymore you are obviously lowering your sugar levels and so i would probably go into a diabetic coma quicker than normal. Im sure there is somewhere around this anyway ;)

Are you sure that alcohol will lower your sugar levels? Alcohol, especially in the case of beer and liqueurs, contains high levels of sugar. And beer is full of carbohydrates, which is why people can put on weight drinking!

Anyway, really sorry to hear that you've got diabetes Apple, but as everyone has pointed out it can be controlled and you'll live a normal life as everyone else does. Follow the doctors advice and diet plan, and you'll be fine. I send you the very best of luck (y)

By the way, did they say whether it was type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

If it's any help, I just had to do an essay on dietary requirements (additions and omissions to a balanced diet) for people with different health conditions. This was for my my college course I am currently studying. One of the conditions was for a type 2 diabetic, and if it's any help I'll post up that section for you and everyone else to read.

Thing is, though I researched it thoroughly it hasn't been marked yet so don't take it all as gospel!

I also made up a table in Word that won't paste properly onto here. Let me know if you'd like me to attach it as a Word Doc.

Anyway, here goes:

TYPE 2 Diabetic Dietary Requirements:

The main dietary requirement in a Type 2 diabetic is to control the levels of sugar/ glucose in the blood, as diabetes impairs the body’s ability to do so naturally. If overweight, attention should be paid to a diet that can lead to weight loss as diabetes is often worsened by obesity.

Omissions:

High calorie foods should be reduced considerably, as they increase blood sugar levels and can lead to weight gain. Fatty foods, especially animal/ saturated fats, also lead to weight gain, which can further complicate diabetes by reducing the efficiency of bodily produced insulin. This link between diabetes and obesity means weight gain should be avoided, and if overweight measures should be taken to lose excess body fat. Also, animal fats increase the chances of atherosclerosis/ heart disease amongst diabetics

Food and drinks high in sacchorose/ sugar should be avoided altogether, as they cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. This includes tea and coffee with added sugar.

Alcohol can be taken in moderation, but beers, some wines and liqueurs should be avoided as they contain a high sugar content. As with sacchorose food/ drinks, these can cause sharp rises in blood sugar levels.

Additions:

Fibre rich carbohydrate and starchy foods should be increased, and should account for ½ the daily calorie intake. These foods provide glucose as well as essential vitamins, minerals and nutrient fibres, plus take longer to be absorbed than pure carbohydrates. The fibre content also aids bowel movement.

Complex carbohydrates should be increased, especially in the form of dietary fibre, as they are slower to be absorbed into the body and therefore reduce blood sugar levels from fluctuating. Dietary fibre also has the effect of slowing the absorption of glucose, giving a steady absorption over time rather than the sugar ‘rush’ associated with non fibrous pure carbohydrates.

Unsaturated fats should replace saturated/ animal fats to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, which carries greater risks for a type 2 diabetic. The same applies with some dairy products and meats that are high in fat, substituting for lean/ low fat alternatives and also choosing reduced fat cooking oils and margarines.

The other important factor in a Type 2 diabetic diet is to eat regular, small meals in preference to one or two large meals per day. This helps keep blood sugar levels under steady control rather than overloading the digestive system in one go.

that is basically the GI diet, i no he's a skinny arse in his own words, but the GI diet works on the Glycemic Idex.

This means that all foods have a level, high, medium and low, things like chocolate have a high level as the sugars go through the body very quickly and give u a saugar rush, things such as potato, pasta etc, have a lower GI number because they are absorbed slowly into the body, giving it time to release the sugars etc, slowly into the bosy's system.

This is the kind of diet a diabetic should have, but it will be explained to him tomorrow.

charmed103 said:
that is basically the GI diet, i no he's a skinny arse in his own words, but the GI diet works on the Glycemic Idex.

This means that all foods have a level, high, medium and low, things like chocolate have a high level as the sugars go through the body very quickly and give u a saugar rush, things such as potato, pasta etc, have a lower GI number because they are absorbed slowly into the body, giving it time to release the sugars etc, slowly into the bosy's system.

This is the kind of diet a diabetic should have, but it will be explained to him tomorrow.

I have been told pasta is one of the worst for me to eat to high insugar. Should I question this I like pasta:yum:

Steve

Interesting that. I didn't know what the GI diet was! I came up with my recommendations from researching through medical journals and internet websites covering type 2 diabetes.

One thing though, I thought white pasta was bad (a high GI number?) because it high in pure carbohydrates? This is easy to digest, and because carbs get converted to sugars a sugar rush can occur.

Of course, wholemeal pasta is much better as it consists of complex carbohydrates that take longer to be absored and hence a slower release of carbs to sugar/ glucose.

But as I mentioned, I'm still waiting for my essay to be marked so don't hold me to it!

1986Uno45S said:
Interesting that. I didn't know what the GI diet was! I came up with my recommendations from researching through medical journals and internet websites covering type 2 diabetes.

One thing though, I thought white pasta was bad (a high GI number?) because it high in pure carbohydrates? This is easy to digest, and because carbs get converted to sugars a sugar rush can occur.

Of course, wholemeal pasta is much better as it consists of complex carbohydrates that take longer to be absored and hence a slower release of carbs to sugar/ glucose.

But as I mentioned, I'm still waiting for my essay to be marked so don't hold me to it!

Seems the advice given me was right then pasta Bad:(

Steve

Hi John,

My mum, sister and female friend are all Diabetics, Type 2 and 1, time will learn you how to control your BS (Blood Sugar!) and injections so it will become the norm over time, you will no doubt have some "highs" and "lows" but once again you'll learn how to cope in due course.

I refrained from using the S word as I don't find it a debilitating condition if manged properly and sensibly.

The bonus is I think your prescription are all free now even for non Diabetes meds so not all bad! What PEN and Monitor have you got?

Liam

[/B]This is info off offical dritish diabetic website, it is something called the plate of health theory as to what food groups shuld be in each meal and how much.

Its like pasta it's not the pasta that's unhealthy it's wot u put on top, e.g fattening cheese sauces, it wud be better with a tomato based sauce, low in fat(y)

Food and diabetes

Foods can be divided into five main groups (see below). In order for us to enjoy a balanced diet we need to eat foods from these groups.

This plate model is known as the ‘balance of good health’.* It illustrates the proportion of how much you should eat from each of the food groups to achieve a balanced diet. In other words, you should aim to eat more from the bigger sections and less from the smaller ones.

The diet for people with diabetes is a balanced healthy diet, the same kind that is recommended for the rest of the population — low in fat, sugar and salt, with plenty of fruit and vegetables and meals based on starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes, cereals, pasta and rice. This section highlighted the issues you should consider when planning your meals.

Bread, cereals and potatoes

This food groups includes: breakfast cereals, potatoes, all breads, pasta, rice, oats, noodles, yam, plantain, cassava.

We obtain glucose from the food that we eat, either from sweet foods or from the digestion of starchy foods such as bread or potatoes. The liver can also make glucose.

After a meal, the blood glucose level rises and insulin is released into the blood. When the blood glucose level falls – for example, during physical activity – the level of insulin falls. Insulin therefore plays a vital role in regulating the level of blood glucose and, in particular, in stopping the blood glucose from rising too high.

Starchy carbohydrate foods like potatoes, bread, cereals, rice and pasta should therefore be the basis of all your meals. This is because these foods help you to keep your blood glucose levels steady. Try and choose wholemeal or wholewheat varieties where possible. Everyone with diabetes has individual dietary requirements, which is why it is important to get specific advice from a local dietitian. He or she will guide you on the amounts of different foods you should eat.

Milk and dairy foods

This food group includes: milk, cheeses, yogurt and fromage frais. You should aim to eat or drink moderate amounts of milk and dairy foods each day. Also, choose lower-fat versions, for example skimmed or semi-skimmed milk and cottage cheese.

Adults need about one pint of milk per day or the equivalent in dairy foods to meet calcium needs. Aim for two to three servings of milk and dairy foods each day.

This food group includes meat, poultry, fish, eggs, beans and pulses, and also nuts. You should aim to eat moderate amounts from this food group every day.

You should try to eat foods from this group twice a day. Choose lower-fat versions wherever you can and limit fried foods.

Fish is definitely a good alternative to meat at mealtimes and offers positive health benefits. White fish such as cod, plaice and haddock are low in fat. Oily fist such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, pilchards, trout and herring (tined, fresh or frozen) are higher in fat than white fish but they contain a special type of polyunsaturated fat know as ‘omega 3’ fat. This type of fat has been shown to help protect against heart attacks. It also helps to lower a type of fat in your blood known as triglycerides. Try to eat oily fish twice a week.
Fruit and vegetables

People with diabetes can eat any kind of fruit, regardless of the sugar content. Everyone is encouraged to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day. Spreading the fruit you eat through the day will avoid a sudden rise in blood glucose levels. Although some fruits have a lower glycaemic index, which shows how foods affect blood glucose levels, the important thing is to increase the amount of fruit you eat, including a wide variety of different fruits.

All fruit and vegetables are extremely good for you. They are high in fibre, low in fat and packed with vitamins and minerals. Research has shown that eating more can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, some cancers and some gut problems. You should aim to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables per day: for example, three portions of fruit and two portions of vegetables or vice versa. Eating more fruit and vegetables also helps to improve the overall balance of the diet. Fruit is the perfect snack.

This food group includes all types of fruit and vegetables including fresh, frozen, canned, juices and dried. It is recommended to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables each day.

One portion =

one medium- sized fresh fruit (apple, pear, banana, etc)

two small fruits (apricots, plums, kiwi fruit, etc)

a cupful of berries or very small fruit (grapes, raspberries, etc)

a bowlful of salad

a large slice of a large fruit (melon, pineapple, etc)

three serving spoons of tinned or stewed fruit

half a serving spoon of dried fruit

a small glass of unsweetened fruit juice

three serving spoons of a small vegetable (sweetcorn, peas, etc)

two serving spoons of green or root vegetables or pulses (beans, carrots, etc)
Dried fruits
Rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals like iron, dried fruits can add a variety of nutrients and flavour your daily meals. But watch out for fruits soaked in honey and syrup – they can be sickly sweet.

Dried fruits are however a more concentrated source of sugar than fresh but you can still use them in savoury or sweet dishes. As well as the more common dried fruits such as prunes, apricots, raisins and figs, why not check out something more unusual, such as papaya, cranberries and mangoes.

Last edited:
steve1219 said:
Seems the advice given me was right then pasta Bad:(

Steve

Wholemeal pasta is fine though. Eat as much as you want (y) Basically anything that has been processed too much (like white bread and white pasta) is bad in terms of containing high levels of pure carbohydrates.

Wholemeal foods contain complex carbohydrates, and these are fine because they are slower to be absorbed than pure carbohydrates and don't cause the sugar rushes. (y)

I try to carry round with me some dextrose sweets from the chemist.(y)
Bloody hell apple, not satisfied with starting our own little diabetics corner on FF its now begining to sound like "Cant cook, Wont cook"!!:D
What we gonna post next "101 things you dont know about us diabetics"?:idea:

MATT 68 said:
I try to carry round with me some dextrose sweets from the chemist.(y)
Bloody hell apple, not satisfied with starting our own little diabetics corner on FF its now begining to sound like "Cant cook, Wont cook"!!:D
What we gonna post next "101 things you dont know about us diabetics"?:idea:

101, that many!!!!!

shall we start a new thread:rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're alright, and it sounds like you're coping with it well so far (y)
Can you make a bit of money on the sdie by selling your used needles to heroin addicts? :D
H

hmallett said:
Glad to hear you're alright, and it sounds like you're coping with it well so far (y)
Can you make a bit of money on the sdie by selling your used needles to heroin addicts? :D
H

no don't work like that fella!!!!

yep prescriptions, dentist and opticians are all now free, but not the best way to get free things out of the NHS.

You can get something callled a medical exemption certificate, it the size of a credit card.

U just have to get your doctor to sign a form to say ur diabetic, send it off the place and they sent one back.

saves a bit of dollar, but that only works for diabetics taking medication, if u don't then u can have one(n)

its good to hear you've got a pretty good attitude mate (y)

It seems like there's quite a few on this forum, maybe a rename is in order?:D

anyway, like eveyone says, you will eventually learn to control your sugar levels without thinking, i know im not diabetic but i can tell instantly when my dads are dropping and when he needs to eat.

He drinks quite a bit of beer so i wouldnt worry too much about that, drink in moderation until you are more familiar with your condition.

Keep jam at home for when your sugars do drop badly, smearing this onto your gums gets them back up pretty quickly as it doesnt have to be digested (this was advice from a paramedic after my dad had a severe hypo at 5am!!!) also lucozade dextrose tablets are handy to have in your glovebox and let all your friends know about how to recognise the signs of a hypo and what to do. Maybe a medic alert card or chain would be a good idea???

and remember, clay pigeon shooting and low blood sugars dont mix...:D (y)

well visited the diabetes people today, everythings going well, will need to visit them sometime next week for a discussion on diet.

The best news is that i have been cleared to drive once again, DVLA and insurance are happy for me to get behind the wheel providing i follow the docs advice so the squitchs absense off the road was shortlived :woot:

Yes that is good news now with a bit of luck you could get to m y age And keep your good looks just like me :p

Back