General Horrible sound from windshield wipers

Currently reading:
General Horrible sound from windshield wipers

Mousendahouse

For a while now, my wipers have been giving off a anoying scrapping sound. This issue has been metioned in the brillant pinned post regarding common issues.

19.Slighted twisted wiper arms, causing squeak and rub on wiping the windscreen, a slight twist of the arms should cure this

I am abit confused as to what way i am supposed to twist the arm? Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

It's caused by crud on the windscreen. You can clean the glass with brake cleaner but will need to scrub hard and DO NOT pour it on the glass as paint on the scuttle wont survive.

Mine was better for a few weeks but started again so I now just accept it and don't use the wipers unless I need them.

Last edited:
I have bought brand new wipers, no help tho

Try a thorough clean of the windscreen. If anyone has used something like Rain-X on the screen in the past, you need a cleaning regime that will get it off.

In the past, I've used domestic limescale remover, followed by a water soluble degreaser, followed by a polish with Autoglym Car Glass Polish. Using CGP on the blades sometimes helps, too.

You wont hurt the windscreen by pushing on it. Just check the wiper arm spring does provide tension. Any seizure at the pivot will reduce spring tension. If that's ok then correcting the arm bend will sort it out. You can support the arm with anything about 25mm or 30mm thick before bending in downwards.

Back