Honest opinions on the 106?

Currently reading:
Honest opinions on the 106?

A 106 1.5 Diesel has popped up locally at home and I am considering getting my parents to go and have a look. I know about this much when it comes to the 106 [ ].

I do know the 1.5D will do stupidly high MPG which would be a very useful thing next year, I also know they all seem to have no electrics, luckily this does have electric windows, central locking and an airbag, most don't seem to have that!

So any HONEST opinions on this car? I don't need to know the 1.5D is slow or that chavs drive them, I don't care about that sort of thing as you know lol.

I have to make a decision about whether MPG is everything to me or whether I will sacrifice a few MPG for something more substantial with better kit. (bravo/a, megane, xsara, laguna etc. are all on my list in diesel guise).

My mate has a 1.1 106 Petrol thing....its got manual everything and a 4 speed transmission.

It has a small car charm to it...although it handles like its at sea due to a poor suspension system and no ARB....oh well. I quite like it, as it takes lots of abuse without argument!

I had a rather small engined (1.0/1.1?) and old version (R/S reg) as a courtesy car so perhaps it has been improved since then in newer models. The pedals were tiny and close together, it had soggy suspension and was rubbish over speedbumps and the Cinq feels like a rolls-royce compared to it. If it's MPG you want, buy an 899 Cinq (buy mine ;)). Admittedly I didn't try abusing mine as I was driving with third party insurance only. I'm not just being mean because it wasn't a Fiat and didn't have it for long so can't give a good all-round opinion but that was my first and lasting impression.

The 1.5D isn't quite as bad as the 1.4D. You can literally out-accelerate the 1.4 on a mountain bike! :eek:

They're f***ing horrible little things though. They're extraordinarily flimsy, cramped, the interior is ugly and deeply uncomfortable, and whether or not you want to drive like a nutter the lack of power WILL annoy you.

MPG isn't everything... of the ones on your list I'd go for the Bravo (looks and handling) or the Laguna (big comfy barge with lots of toys). Athough you really should buy a Punto you know... :)

Cheers Tom, yeah none have PAS etc. it seems and this one is lucky to have electric windows! Although it does have a 5 speed box fortunately!

Just checked a load of the reviews on parkers (owner's reviews) mainly good and all say "runs on vapour, never need to fill up!" or similar, so I guess as long as it's a good car, I might sacrifice the things I wanted for money saving diesel prices. Parkers itself say it handles a charm, but I dunno...

I emailed the bloke and he answered all the questions well, and I emailed back asking for number so we can arrange to see it and his reply was:

"Paul. No probs. Get your old man to leave a message for Graham on 0115 ******- I'll call him back to arrange - most evenings are OK - quiet social life"

Can anybody think of a genuine reason why we would have to leave a msg or does it suddenly get dodgy now? He says he has owned the car for 5 years (backed up by checking on the RAC datacheck) and he has full service records with a local garage and they will verify this etc.

All these are fine though ;) I will be doing probably 20k+ starting this year so 60+MPG sounds good. It is 60bhp and weighs 815kg in 5dr guise. But all points noted and thanks.

The problem I have is finding one of the other cars in my price range, they are either massive abused, high mileage or the wrong engines.
Megane - want the dti but budget is max of 2k and you don't see them much.
Laguna - as above
Brava/o - JTD would be wanted for MPG since the TD gives punto petrol mileage so would be little point getting it, JTDs are few and far between and only ever seen a few around the 1.5k mark that are servicible.
xsara - well, they are usually basic like the 106 in diesel guise, the 1.9D is slow, the 1.9td is an old design (not very economical but reliable) and hdi is out of price range.

Hence why I have been considering a few other options :)

I drove a 45bhp uno for a year remember ;)

My big worry is as you say though, that after having driven a 1.8 high spec laguna and a scenic td around for 15k+ for the last year, I will find it cheap and slow.

is this a private sale or a trader selling.

Leaving a message for a bloke , not being sexist but sounds like its a trader to me trying to make a bob or two, although chances are he probably made a profit elsewhere i.e this vehicle a P/X so still may be able to get it for a good price, but it might be genuine e.g. the person is out, work etc

My mum had an R reg 1.1 for a couple of years. The 1.1 is only 43bhp and ive seen more luxuries police cells in terms of comfort and convenience.

The 1.5 i think is quite a reasonable engine.

From 1998 on an S plate PAS was an option in lower spec models and standard on the more luxurious models

Last edited:
The Negotiator said:
"Paul. No probs. Get your old man to leave a message for Graham on 0115 ******- I'll call him back to arrange - most evenings are OK - quiet social life"

Can anybody think of a genuine reason why we would have to leave a msg or does it suddenly get dodgy now?

Just in case your father rings during the day and he's at work or out shopping, etc.? He may have had problems with his phone and is using a neighbours - if he's an old man, he may not have a mobile, or a working mobile :). I reckon that if he can get to the phone, he'll answer it :D

AppleSei said:
is this a private sale or a trader selling.

Leaving a message for a bloke , not being sexist but sounds like its a trader to me trying to make a bob or two

Well, he's owned the car for 5 years according to the RAC, so I doubt he bought it to make a quick buck :D

He's on ebay and hasn't ever sold any cars before and only seems to be selling this, feedback of 14 and has owned the car for 5 years according to him and the datacheck. I don't think it is a dealer given that (unless you can somehow fake you have owned a car for 5 years according to dvla check and his v5 document???)

But it just seems odd, maybe you're right chaos but I don't want to waste parent's time.

Apple, I am pretty sure that's wrong, everything I have seen shows the 1.1 has 60bhp. 1.0 is 50bhp.

The Negotiator said:
Apple, I am pretty sure that's wrong, everything I have seen shows the 1.1 has 60bhp. 1.0 is 50bhp.

2 versions of the 1.1 1124cc and later moels 1148cc

The one we had was the 1124 which had 43bhp

The Negotiator said:
But it just seems odd, maybe you're right chaos but I don't want to waste parent's time.

It'd only be 2 minutes of their time to ring :). And it is fairly local if it does sound kosher (y). We've done 50-60 mile trips sometimes to look at cars only to find they ain't exactly as described :(

That's the problem Chaos, parents did Nottm-rotherham for a megane dti and then Nottm-roachdale for another megane dti, both rubbish compared to what was said and that's a lot of time and money to waste for rubbish...

Thankfully this is about 15 mins away or so near the uni in nottm :)

Theres some dodgy pug dealers about :(

And its the slowest 50bhp ive ever been in

Last edited:
The Negotiator said:
Thankfully this is about 15 mins away or so near the uni in nottm :)

So your parents can do some shopping if they go to view it. If it does turn out to be a lemon, they can go shopping on the way home :D

They live closer to Nottm city centre (approx 2miles) than the uni (about 4 miles ;)) lol

Will be getting my dad to call in the morning, since he has jjust bought a ffully kitted out megane, I expect he will be the first to say it's too basic for me lol. I have only been in one before (no idea what engine, either 1.0 or 1.1) and it was just like my uno.

Back