Honest opinions on the 106?

Currently reading:
Honest opinions on the 106?

The best part of the Pug 106 is the diesel engine. The build quality is poor even compared to an old Panda. Reliability shouldn't be an issue as the Pug diesels go and go and go. My main concern would be lack of power, poor build quality and minimal crash protection. I wouldn't like one as a daily driver any more than I would like a Panda as a daily driver.

Have you had a look at 899cc Seicentos? MPG is incredible, 60 mpg+ and you at least get some small level of crash protection including a drivers airbag, side impact beams, etc. £1000 would get you a clean, low mileage 99 car.

Parents wouldn't touch one Steve, no point even trying, it's hard enough to make them consider brava/o lol. I expect when they see the pug they will say the same too though.

As I say, if MPG is vital then it's the right car, otherwise it's not lol.

Cheers for everybody's posts.

Yeah problem is that I need the car before I am earning properly :( Hence it isn't my money.

Chris: Anything Renault is what my parents like, hence why two of the cars in my list are Renault, the clio is out since the 1.9D isn't economical and the dci is out of my price range.

If I save serious money next year and put up with a car which isn't perfect it will mean I can keep it for my final year at uni, if it costs too much and I don't save enough, it will mean I have to get rid of it for the last year, that's at the front of my mind!

Helz said:
If you're paying for it, it's nothing to do with your parents what you drive. Your choice entirely. You have to cut the apron strings sometime :rolleyes:

I agree with that. My parents were happy to advise, but the ultimate choice to go for a car or not was down to me entirely :)

I won't be earning until at least June, a part time job from now until then is very very unlikely to happen, when I start the job in June I will need to travel that distance daily. The train is out of the question (bus from mine to Nottm (25 mins in rush hour) walk to train station (10 mins from one end of town to the other), train to loughborough (no idea how long) then I think it is a bus to l'boro uni and then a walk to where I would work. So I need support for getting the car from my family, hence why they have to have such a say in what car I get.

I think this is the 4th time I have explained this, although I expect you all must have missed those threads?

My part time job pays for my car with plenty left over for anything else I need to spend money on. Like my PC for example. The base unit was totally built and funded by myself, my monitor/printer/keyboard/mouse I either had lying around unused or given as presents.

The Negotiator said:
I think this is the 4th time I have explained this, although I expect you all must have missed those threads?

Yes :)

Personally I would rather work a bit and have my independence than be dictated to. Tell them if you can't have whichever car you want, be it Reanault, Fiat, Skoda or whatever, you will get a job (six months = £2k ish on minimum wage for a few hours a week) and pay for it yourself and buy it anyway. That way you hold all the cards :)

Chem Eng sports day is called the Frank Morton day, this year it is at Brum, think it was l'boro in 2003 (?). The biggest "chem eng get-to-together".

Won't be attending since all it is, is 10 mins of sport then 10 hours of drinking in a city I don't know - hence I would be stuck on my own :( I was going to go but then remembered what I was told was involved lol.

L'boro is sports and engineering really BUT they have a posh business park next door which is where I will be working at.

Helz I can't have a part time job, sometimes my work load means I don't even have time to come on FF! :(

I am happy to allow them to have some control over such a thing, after all they pay for a lot of things in my life.

They are viewing at 3pm so will let you know the thoughts from a man who drives a specced up megane.

The Negotiator said:
Helz I can't have a part time job, sometimes my work load means I don't even have time to come on FF! :(

Out of interest, how many hours a week of Uni do you have?

We are sponsored by Shell so :p We never win though, think we came second last year or third, behind Imperial (or behind Imperial and cambs)

Chaos: at the moment about 0 hours ;) (exams) but timetabled 26 I think but as you know, that figure means nothing, it's the work outside of that that you have to put in on items such as lab reports, design projects and basic courseworks. You know me by now, I but a lot of time in on things like that (shame my revision isn't going quite as well ;))

I am not saying it would be impossible to have a part time job (infact 2 people on the course do have part time jobs during term time, 6 hours a week at the Lowry) but my work would definitely be effected.

my future brother in law has a 106, very old now, and is due to go soon, drove it earlier this year, and apart from the incredible effort needed for parking, was smooth, reasonably quick, frugal, and easy to punt around. not bad on the M1 either, i'm 6ft2 and fitted in ok,

his is very base spec, so something further up may be worth the cash

oh, and it didnt like hard braking....but then a lot of small cars dont

Back