DSC_0372.jpg

Honda CRX 16v

Introduction

So, now the Golf is dead, here's the new motor, a 1989 Honda CRX 1.6 16v.

Very very tidy condition with very little rust anywhere. Only rust ive seen is a teeny tiny bubble on drivers door and thats it :p

This car kicks ass :D Very quick, very comfortable, handles superb and looks gorgeous! Only downside is the exhaust :eek: to say its deafening would be an understatement :p. Dont believe me, ask ginner :D

Spec :
  • Honda Civic CRX 1989
  • 98k miles
  • 135-140hp
  • 15" alloys with 195/50 tyres
  • Front and rear strut braces
  • K&N air filter
  • Full custom stainless manifold-back system
Not quite sure what im doing about the exhaust at the moment but its not the end of the world. Neighbours hate it more than I do :p althought it is very very loud (n)

Just replaced the sparks and leads for nice Bosch super4 jobbies to cure a slight misfire when accelerating lightly. Seemed to have developed this problem on the drive home from Blackpool. Runs perfect now!
and to think you had a lovely bravo not long ago. oh well life is full of ups and downs :p

only joking mate, i'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in it. it looks bloody clean for its age!

your exhaust is basically just a motorbike end can (aka "jap style" straight through chav cannon). you can make it a lot less noisey if you fit one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MOTORCYCL...ryZ25623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they really do work! if you want a cheap one get a second hand baffle like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-FS1-FS...ryZ10490QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or just search ebay for 'baffle'

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Cant seem to find one that will fit mine. Dont suppose you usualy get motorbikes with 5" cans :p Might take it up a local place and see if they can make a custom box in the same style but thats quiet. I like the look of it.

Im not going to write it off. Ive never crashed any of my cars and i know when I can and cant drive enthusiasticaly. Im not a boy racer... most of the time

yeah it will be just that back box which makes it loud (n) my old punto had one, 4" rage back box :yuck: looked so horrid and sounded so deep and loud, the current owner had a 3" peco big bore welded on in place, and it sounds alot better now, only a little louder than standard but sounds great, so take it to any custom exhaust place and there be able to put a new backbox on which will quieten it down hell of alot.

nice car btw, except for the exhaust :yuck:

well i could easily buy another system but im not sure if my downpipe is standard or not. Defo looks like its stainless so im assuming not, but then dont know if the bore is the same as the standard one or not as tbh, the bore looks quite big to me! I dont want to order a system and find it isnt the same bore and wont fit, or wont fit because the downpipe doesnt follow quite the same route etc.

A new downpipe and manifold (stainless) will set me back around £100. Not too bad really but then a new system will be around £300 so Ide rather not spend out on the manifold and downpipe if i dont have to:)

ive always loved CRXs, so cool and very nice looking imo.. ever since i used to play the drag game on the internet with them on it. Some guy at my gym has a completely chavved up one, all the kit isnt fited or painted properly, paint flaking, shyte wheels painted white with a brush by the looks of it, what a waste! yours looks very clean and original. EDIT: and tractorish :p
btw i need one 2 of those baffle things for my exhaust, 2x4" i think mine is.. unbelievably loud!

thats B_E_A_utiful!!!
lol., ive always wanted a mk2 CRX since i was a nipper., id never have the gaymobile delsol over though,.,:confused:
the body looks great for its age, they usually get a lot of rust on them., that one has the D16 engine IIRC and they can really move.,
your exhaust should have a 52mm diameter as far as i can remember and it wont be stainless., the original exhaust on them runs sideways from left to right and looks a lot better than that one., everything else looks great.,(y)

EDIT: How much did ya pay for it anyway?

Last edited:
Good choice Chris. (y) I've always liked the mk2 CRX, looks cool and goes like stink. Perfect 'rice rocket' :slayer:

But they do rust unless cosseted, spares prices can be excruciating though they are superbly built and can be very reliable. They are real little engineering jewels that Honda are so good at making.

Is it a keeper for you though? Or is that a daft question?!!! :p

BTW, what's wrong with white? Isn't white the Japanese racing colour???

Back