General Home Refurbs

Currently reading:
General Home Refurbs

Has anyone tried/done any home refurbs?

What have you tried and how have you found it?

At the moment I am in the process of refurbishing the wheels, sand down, primer, and then some good old hammerite. Looks alot better than I expected.

Next job is to touch up the front grille, the only issue I have is masking the badges. I have masked up the blue "fiat" logo, but i am strugling with ideas of how to mask off the fiat stripes in the centre of the grille.

Help please!!

Could use the "speed" stripes that go down the side of your car. Halfrauds would have that, or a better car accessory shop! I've used it before and they peel off afterwards ok too. You can buy them in a variety of widths too.
Has your panda got the girlle with lots of slats, or the one with a few and a smaller fiat badge in the middle?

Cheers,
Si

I've not properly started the Fiat refurbs, though all of my SAAB refurbs on the old 96 have proven majorly successful and colossally satisfying!

The needing to take your part to be re-manufactured is a huge myth, go to http://www.frost.co.uk/ I've never actually ordered from them (yet) though they have been recommended to me a few times - I'm waiting to have a garage to justify spending all the money there!

I've not properly started the Fiat refurbs, though all of my SAAB refurbs on the old 96 have proven majorly successful and colossally satisfying!

The needing to take your part to be re-manufactured is a huge myth, go to http://www.frost.co.uk/ I've never actually ordered from them (yet) though they have been recommended to me a few times - I'm waiting to have a garage to justify spending all the money there!

hey jon!

you sciving off work? :devil:

Im a Few steps further with these refurbs, with the grille, I didnt want to risk snapping a clip, so I masked them and it has just been sprayed. Wheel wise, the spare has had it final coat is drying, looks a treat. The driver side front and rear have been wire brushed and are ready for priming. Its a very lengthy process but I think its well worth it, especially as mine weren't in top nick to start with. Pictures of Before and After Below.

Attachments

• Wheel Before.jpg
    Wheel Before.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Wheel After.jpg
    Wheel After.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 19
You guys have inspired me to tart up my Panda, so last weekend armed with filler and paint I attacked the near side rear wheel arch. :slayer:

I am not professing to be an expert, and I'll be the first to admit my techniques are far from orthodox, but I am pleaseed with the result and hopefully it should minimise the further spread of tin worm (y)

Attached are the pictures...

PS. The over spray on the bumper is from the previous owners attempt to 'sort' the problem :bang: - Not mine :rolleyes:

Providing the weather is good I am going to do my wheels next weekend.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00268.JPG
    DSC00268.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00272.JPG
    DSC00272.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 27
You've done a bloody good job there Tom! (y)

How long did it take roughly? Fancy doing my Selecta :p

Thanks.
I think all in about 2-3 hours, however alot of this time was waiting for filler to cure, paint to dry etc...:rolleyes: I also a lunch break ;)

I did also take the opertunity to clean out and under seal the whole inner wheel arch area too, whilst the wheel was off.

If you do give it a go, I recomend the fibre glass filler for major filling and also an air sander made the rubbing down a breeze.

Looks excelent. I'm a bit further doing my wheels, they have all been primed and ready for a coat of paint. I've also ventured onto the brake drums, Very rusty! both wire brushed off. I painted the passenger rear last night, unfortunatley i didnt leave it long enough to dry, so when i went to put it back on, finger prints, oops. not noticeable and whilst driving along and does look a darn site better.

The next part is going to the poll. the hub caps, different tone of silver. So, my old amn suggested, Black? Green(same as car), or a nearer match of silver?

:)

You want silver if keeping it origional, but black if different but not OTT ;)

View attachment 48286View attachment 48287

Just to help give an idea (y)

I agree with Jon. Either the same silver or black. Anything else would (in my opinion) look tacky.

I am spraying my wheels silver this weekend, did think about doing them gloss black, but decided to keep it original. Unfortunatly my hubcaps are missing, so I can't get the complete original look :(

I completely re-shelled and re-built an Austin Healy under my carport!

Paint was done by a pro tho abvoiusly but with the will, and the ability to choose your days and work in god awful weather anythin is possible (y)

Back