Holiday in Wales?

Currently reading:
Holiday in Wales?

woj

Established member
Hi there,

Me and my better hald plus our 1.5 year old are thinking about spending our holidays somewhere in Wales (reason - one of the few places around Europe we have not yet seen). Our limit is that we won't have a car with us (I know that around here this is wrong by definition ;)), we want to be on a reasonable budget, and finally, as above, we have a 1.5 year old with us, so no extreme outdoor activities (but proper hiking is good, what we like). Any hints what/where to look for?

Cheers,

Woj

Last edited:
The misses has just booked us a week in Presthaven. Been to N.Wales before and it's pretty good for stuff to do. (I am biased as I am from Anglesy though!)

i love wales but to appreciate it properly you need transport
wales to me by the way is the big barren bits where you can drive for miles and see no one
park up read the paper have a picnic then go back to your rented cottage for tea before walking into the village for a pint

If you don't have a car then the North coast is probably the best as above. The scenery is stunning, the locals though are miserable sods who switch to Welsh the second you go in a shop.

Recently spent 2 weeks in Tenby. Some good walking & glorious beaches. Couldn't believe a couple of the beaches were almost deserted & yet were absolutely fantastic - because people had to walk a mile or two from the car park! (Broadhaven, Barafundle, Stackpole) Going back for another 2 weeks later this year.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stackpole/

I love North Wales - but as said - a lot of Welsh is spoken, and some DO talk about you (I used to go to Dinas Dinlle with my Aunt & Uncle 3 - 4 times a year, she was Welsh & we'd visit all her rellies so I became reasonably fluent in the lingo)

Last edited:
Aberysywyth! Seafront town, with mountains and national park very close. Good rail link and relatively cheap to spend a week exploring. Huge sandy beach just up the coast at Ynyslas!

Yes a nice traditional Victorian era seaside resort but the better beach is Ynyslas.
Glengower hotel and pub is very good value.
Dave's chip box 2 serves excellent fish and chips in a café.
Old fashioned steam railway to Devil's Bridge is great but not cheap.
Have fun if you go.
Daughter has just spent 3 years at Unit there and loves the place completely.

Back