Technical Hill holder, esc , tyre pressure. warning

Currently reading:
Technical Hill holder, esc , tyre pressure. warning

davemac98

Fiat panda 2017 1.2 petrol with 16000 miles.
Fault comes up with hill holder, esc and sometimes tyre pressure warning light along with the other 2, and then it normally goes into limp mode. It has to be switched off and on again to get throttle and the engine light stays on. The other lights then come on again after a while. Tried the usual brake switch, no difference. Mechanic a work suggested cleaning the throttle body and MAP sensor, in which he found this gunge. Was ok for a week, then fault came back. Got new MAP sensor, he fitted it and great for over 2 weeks, then fault again. I took of the sensor and found the gunge again. Anybody had this or have any ideas??Thanks...dave...sick of my fiat...needs the big hammer, i think.

Attachments

• MAP.jpg
    MAP.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 497
  • MAp2.jpg
    MAp2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 89
thanks for the reply.
my local garage put it on computer and it said faulty brake light switch but that did not cure it.
When the mechanic a work did me a favour and put it on his Launch diagnostics it came up with about 5 faults, so nothing specific.
The strange thing is, when he cleaned the MAP, it cleared the fault and went fine for a bit.
Then when he suggested fitting a new MAP, it immediately cleared the fault and lasted about 18 days and 400 miles before the fault started again and then i found the gunk again on the sensor. I called main dealers and they said it could be an engine breathing problem and engine strip down needed. Nobody seems to really know what it is and the diagnostics machines are a shot in the dark. Seems a common problem with mixed ways that it is fixed. My battery reads 12.85v which is a good reading . When i priced the MAP , Fiat dealers quoted around 155 part only. I contacted a motor factor with the part number that was fitted to the car, which turns out to be a Bosch sensor, they wanted 19.50...so the dealers are highway robbery. The car has always not sat on tickover very good...a bit grumbly. Almost like missing...My work mechanic said it is a small possibility that it could be a head gasket.

Last edited:
That’s the trouble with modern cars - the computers don’t always know! And these days the number of ‘proper’ mechanics who will take the time to look (and understand what they’re looking for) is getting smaller. Dealer prices are a real rip off. But that’s how they make their money. 12.8v shows it’s not the battery. Good luck - and hope it’s not the gasket

Last edited:
Hi my 2015 1.2 panda is doing exactly same usually triggering mil esp hillassist etc , had maf cleaned at garage no help i cant replicate the fault its totally intermittent getting annoyed as i know itll happen during mot and fail.... i agree maf is a red herring, it was suggested in posts abs , any way to test this without a garage bill

Had same problem on my 2012 1.2 a few years ago for several weeks and then the battery suddenly just died. Replaced with new one and no problem since.

Could be battery but I'd say fit an oil catch tank. These engines run a little cool and mayo collects on the oil filler cap, inside of the cam cover and in the breather pipework, it gets sucked into the throttle body and inlet tract. Short slow runs are a killer, get the engine working, use the revs and do a decent run every now and again. Even an oil catch tank isn't always a cure if you do mostly short journeys like we all are during lockdown.
Although I have a catch tank I run a pipe from the breather connection on the cam cover down the back of the engine and let it breath to air in winter, naughty but it completely removes the gunk in the manifold.
Clean the throttle body(remove and clean under it and the manifold where its mounted inside) , map, air cleaner box and etc with carb cleaner. This should help, also check the thermostat to make sure it's not opening early.

Last edited:
Back