General Highest mileage punto on the forum?

Currently reading:
General Highest mileage punto on the forum?

My mk1 1.2V 8V (1998) managed 196K last year and was going for the 200K mark before someone cause me to crash and the car got written of. The engine is strong but the head had to come out 4 times in my ownership from 55K with 3 of them being required for failing head gasket. I now have a mk2B same engine with millage approaching 80K but with signs of head gasket imminent failure. So if the engine oil is regular replaced every 6K and the regular head gasket swap the engine will last for long time. Unfortunately for fiats other cars can do this without having to swap head gasket on a regular basis so I might give up on replacing the head gasket on my current car. ALso it looks that on mk2b is much harder to change the gasket compared to the mk1.

My mk1 1.2V 8V (1998) managed 196K last year and was going for the 200K mark before someone cause me to crash and the car got written of. The engine is strong but the head had to come out 4 times in my ownership from 55K with 3 of them being required for failing head gasket. I now have a mk2B same engine with millage approaching 80K but with signs of head gasket imminent failure. So if the engine oil is regular replaced every 6K and the regular head gasket swap the engine will last for long time. Unfortunately for fiats other cars can do this without having to swap head gasket on a regular basis so I might give up on replacing the head gasket on my current car. ALso it looks that on mk2b is much harder to change the gasket compared to the mk1.
The hg shouldnt need swapping ""regulary""
Yes fiats are known - but its down to poor maintenance and poor / incomplete repairs

Ziggy

The Mk2b runs with either a Panda or a Grande Punto engine. Both have pressed steel headgaskets - they rarely need to be replaced.

The Mk2b runs with either a Panda or a Grande Punto engine. Both have pressed steel headgaskets - they rarely need to be replaced.

Hope this is true and my hg is OK. However, the fact that fiat replaced to old hg design with new one, is that fiat acknowledges the old hg is a weak point at they tried to address it. They did not modified the engine design though, so the design fault in the engine will still put pressure on the hg and cause it to fail. My mk1 one failed at 55k my mk2b has 78K and shows signs of hg failure. Maybe the enhanced hg may allow me to nurse the engine a bit longer before the inevitable.

Hope this is true and my hg is OK. However, the fact that fiat replaced to old hg design with new one, is that fiat acknowledges the old hg is a weak point at they tried to address it. They did not modified the engine design though, so the design fault in the engine will still put pressure on the hg and cause it to fail. My mk1 one failed at 55k my mk2b has 78K and shows signs of hg failure. Maybe the enhanced hg may allow me to nurse the engine a bit longer before the inevitable.

Are you sure? The engine in my 2004 Punto looked identical to the 1 in my parents 2000 model.

I feel quite sure about this yes. They may look identical from the outside (in case of the Panda engine - GP has different rocker cover), if you ignore the cam sensor. I replaced my HG at 178000km/110000mi - simply because I thought I might as well do it, as I was doing timing belt anyway. There was no signs of HG failure even luring around the corner, it was completely fine.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no 'signs' of a head gasket failure, it either works or its gone. I've never heard of a pre-emptive head gasket change out either, its not a dynamic part so there is nothing to wear out. Unless you constantly drive it in the top 10% of the rev range, that won't help longevity.

When a head gasket does blow it usually blows a gas path through the hole, if that isn't addressed by skimming the surfaces perfectly flat again then the engine will eat head gaskets. Other than that, as long as its got enough oil and water and all the systems work properly [aka maintenance] then you shouldn't need to touch the head gasket.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no 'signs' of a head gasket failure, it either works or its gone. I've never heard of a pre-emptive head gasket change out either, its not a dynamic part so there is nothing to wear out. Unless you constantly drive it in the top 10% of the rev range, that won't help longevity.

When a head gasket does blow it usually blows a gas path through the hole, if that isn't addressed by skimming the surfaces perfectly flat again then the engine will eat head gaskets. Other than that, as long as its got enough oil and water and all the systems work properly [aka maintenance] then you shouldn't need to touch the head gasket.

cartman

Don't know what's on it now but saw my old Punto yesterday, it had about 206000 KLm when I sold it about 4 years ago, 2005 1.2, great car, 05D 31186 anybody on here?

hi,my little 2001 1.2 8v punto hit the 180k there a few weeks ago,im happy with that.

i would have thrown 24k on it in the last year,500miles a week car(y)

no issues have cropped up,the electric steering stopped,i ignored it and kept driving it without.

one day it just started working again:),been grand since.

all she has cost me has been a few second hand tyres and 3 oil changes.

she has got a bit to go on my highest milage car,a bmw 735i 1991, she has 437k on it,orignal engine gearbox etc.

im impressed with my punto,it converted me to fiats,it was my first one,now ive 6!! puntos/cinquecentos and seicentos:D

the little fire engine is a gem

Last edited:

The inevitable has now happened. However the failure I got is that of a obvious leak from the radiator which I will replace shortly. This means that my HG may be OK and the symptoms I was getting was due to the failing radiator. Time will tell.

IMG_0776.JPG

170.000 miles
Petrol 1.2 8v
Still perfect

I know the thread is old but today at Halstead, Essex there was a Fiat Punto 1.9JTD 86BHP Eleganza 2004 for sale is park on the grass with a white label on the windscreen it said is in a perfect condition with 100% full service history and it runs well force to sale because expect the fourth child. I look inside from the window it was a perfect condtion with a climate control and a cruise control which is very a rare car with this on standard, no rust but a quite few of stone chips on the bumper and bonnet. The asked price is £250 and the mileage is now at 227,000 miles! My Eleganza is currently at 132,000 miles. I did not see anyone thread owner's go over 250,000 miles yet on JTD Punto.

My silver streak MK2 is now on 103,000 miles. It's got a full service histroy up to about 90,000. The Clutch is starting to slip and although it runs fine I suspect the head gasket has popped a leak somewhere as despite ALL the tried and tested ways I cannot seem to cure an infernal gurgling sound coming from the matrix on startup :bang: none of this bothers me though as the lil 8V Fire is a pleasure to work on :cool:

Back