Technical high revving when driving

Currently reading:
Technical high revving when driving

sometimes when im driving my car .. the engine revs really high like its stuck in 3000 rpm even when stopping in front of a traffic light it revs madly/

the trouble goes away when: 1 just driving it and when i hit the same speed as its revvin it stops.

2 : stopping the engine and wait for a couple minutes

whats wrong ?/ i know that the clutch is goin but still works fine /or is it ?could that be the problem:confused:

Sounds like its a Mk2 vehicle, almost definately a throttle potentiometer fault. Get your dealer to check using examiner although it quite often doesn't record a fault code and then replace the throttle pot.

i forgot to put down it is a mk1 ..1995 whats that chalk thingy your talkin about? and if it is a valve stuck would some fuel additive help??

some mechanic said i could be the sensor too

soo confusing and driving me crazy its so anoying

Last edited:
This is why I hate ANY modern car, as when the electrics bugger up you can literally spend £100's if not £1000's (if you own a certain red german bahnstormer with bitch electrics) on finding the fault. just been working on a mates Westfield Kit car with a 1700cc ford X/flow block squezed in, only electrics on whole thing that is really needed is battery to start it, if that fails then bump it, still its a fast motor and handling is super tight!! SO much easier to work on than a real one!!

ONly thing I can say is change sensors, check ALL WIRING PLUGS (there are fricking hundreds of them, but worth checking something there, its free but its cheaper than asking someone else to do it).

Back