Technical high pitched whistling

Currently reading:
Technical high pitched whistling

tigeroullie

hi folks i am a complete beginner with cars and hubby usually deals with our brava 1.2 trofeo 2000 w reg but this has us stumped. once the car is warmed up there is a high pitched noise coming from the engine bay when the car is idling, revving the engine makes it go away but not for long. the weird thing is this happens more so in the winter months. it is also intermittant but is very loud. any ideas.
great forum found out how to set the clock so going to see if it works. hope to hear from someone soon. thanx (y)
p.s fully serviced from day one with fiat approved dealers

hi thanx for the prompt reply, it is mostly coming from the driver side and yes arnold clark are the service centre. funnily enough hubby said he is not taking it back now the warranty is over as he was not convinced they had performed a proper service. but for warranty purposes we had to comply.

Hi

And welcome, if it sounds like a dry, squeaking noise; :yuck: in my experience it sounds like it could be a worn or lose drive belt, either alternator, power steering or AC belt{if you have AC}.
Have a look to see if you can see any cracking on the inside of the belts, try and feel for tension of the belts do they feel like they could go a little tighter.
I have a worn belt, which makes this type of noise, try as I do squirting some WD40 or the spray type maintenance oil on to the belts as the engine runs, providing the belts don’t need adjustment this usually shuts them up for a while.
I’ll change mine one day, you know the classic “I’ll do it tomorrow” :rolleyes:

Hi i have this problem and its really annoying, i spray wd40 onto the belts and it shuts them up but then when it rains and im driving around it starts to sqreeech again. Is there some more durable lubricant that i can spray on the belts? is it easy to re-adjust the timing belt tension or is it the same price as a timing belt replace? Thanks for help in advance

Someone please help im getting really worried about this. It only happens when its rainy. Iv'e also noticed that when i spray wd40 on the belt mounted next to the engine the noise doesnt go away. But when i spray it on the belt that is connected to the alternator/another belt, it goes away. The belts that im talking about are at the bottom of the engine bay, it looks like it somehow links up to the belt (mounted next to the engine). Could this be a simple alternator bearing problem or something? Thanks for helping

If you suspect the aux belt, change it (its only a few quid) and check the tensioner / alternator and other rotating parts for looseness / play / noise while doing so. etc. Do *** NOT *** use WD 40 on the belts, especially not the timing belt as it will destroy them and contaminate everything they contact.

Owen.

stylers said:
Do *** NOT *** use WD 40 on the belts

exactly, oiling the belts is crazy and asking for big trouble.

you need to try tensioning the auxialliary drive belt using the alternator tensioner bolt. first loosen the alternator mounting bolts, then tension the belt, then retighten the alternator mounting bolts.

if it still squeals it may mean one of the pulleys is slightly out of alignment causing the belt to constantly brush the side of the pulley guide wall. this can usually be fixed by adjusting the position of the alternator or power steering pump.

if anyone has sprayed wd-40 onto their belt i suggest they use contact cleaner on every pulley before fitting a new belt. if its on the timing belt i wouldnt even drive it.

OMG I KNEW THIS WAS BAD ADVICE WHEN I READ IT! ive been doing this routinely for the last week! ive noticed that the car has had a powerloss and doesnt accelerate as much as it used to! i think im going to get it serviced and let them know what happend. What should i ask them to do about this? i'll also get them to check the alternator belt and belt tensions. what would the garage do if i sprayed wd40 on the timing belt?

Laserboot said:
what would the garage do if i sprayed wd40 on the timing belt?

hopefully they'd slap you and refuse to give your keys back. alternatively if they're too busy they may do nothing and say its ok (then laugh as you drive away), although i think the third option is most likey, they'll offer to replace the belt and clean up the manmade oil slick for you.

Ahh but i was wrongly adviced and i suspected that it was wrong advice, it just didnt seem right to put oil on a belt especially one that needs tension to operate! hmmmm i wish i never bought a HGT now they cost too much to run!

top of the range is always gonna cost more, but its always worth it if you can afford it. i'd love the extra cylinder, but i cant justify spending the extra money :(

Last edited:
Back