Technical High oil pressure

Currently reading:
Technical High oil pressure

Found all these other posts on here regading my problem. It nice to know people out there are interested. Thank guys.

It look like the T/A has two oil circuits. High pressure hydraulic to power the engine valves and the normal lubrication pump. Pressure gauge measurements wont make sense unless you know which circuit you are looking at.

It is possibble that reading the ECU will give the valve actuation pressure, which is not what we want. Normal lubrication pressure needs to be read from the switch location.

Looking at the pics of the oil pump, the pressure relief valve is very open, so hardly any chance of small debris jamming it, unlike fully enclosed ones of the past. So I think a jammed valve is not likely. The high pressure is possible a red herring.

We still do not know why they did pressure test.
We started with the yellow triangle. That is often accompanied by other lights or messages, or sometimes requires fault codes to be read. The basic oil pressure switch appears to be a simple switch, which will only advise of low pressure, and if faulty, just needs a new switch.
Does the oil light illuminate when the ignition is turned on, then extinguish once the engine is running? Are we just being warned of a warning light failure?

Please ask the garage, what led them to the oil pressure? From the yellow triangle, what was the diagnostic path. We need more details. If the engine appears to be running fine, we should be looking at a simple fix.

Last edited:
With my very limited knowledge of Alfa OBD, it does not show oil pressure and there does not appear to be an old school oil pressure sender for it. Bugger knows how it's supposed to measure oil pressure. Unless I am completely wrong.

Last edited:
be nice if a moderator could move the thread over (y)

no point in starting the tread again. But more likely to get help where people with same car hang out

Running mes in simulate mode couldn't find an parameter for oil pressure

Oil temperature yes
And oil temperature in uni air unit

No High pressure. Only switch failure. Heres what it says in the owners manual

Speed limit exceeded

Fuel cut-off system intervention/fault

Start&Stop system fault

Temporary orpermanent City Brake Control -"Collision Mitigation" system failure

Parking sensor failure

Exterior lights failure

Engine oil pressure sensor failure

Water in diesel filter(diesel versions)

No High pressure. Only switch failure. Heres what it says in the owners manual

Speed limit exceeded

Fuel cut-off system intervention/fault

Start&Stop system fault

Temporary orpermanent City Brake Control -"Collision Mitigation" system failure

Parking sensor failure

Exterior lights failure

Engine oil pressure sensor failure

Water in diesel filter(diesel versions)

Nothing serious there. Probably just needs a pressure switch, costing a few pounds. Mountain - molehill?
Oil pressure light activity might give a clue. If pressure sensor faulty, either light does not come on, or stays on, but neither have been reported here.

Here we are a week later and things have moved on, but still no answer.
Got myself a pressure gauge and checked the pressure. The garsge was right, it is pushing out 80 PSI.
So I took the sump down, not an easy task I might add, and found the relief valve which is part of the pump. It is not supposed to be taken apart as the caseing is peened over, but I managed to get the plug out and the spring and the shuttle just slid out. No problem there. I have rebuilt the engine and it is still the same. I have talked to the local Fiat dealer and they have never heard of the problem and they tell me that the pressure should be, 58 PSI at 4000rpm.

Last edited:
This is how the thread started.
Hi I have a twinair Panda which has the yellow triangle on. I have had it checked out and my locol garage said it was oil puessure. They have checked the pressure and found it to be over 80psi. Any suggestions?

Four pages later, relevant questions have remained unanswered.

As stated already, yellow triangle does not warn of high oil pressure. There does not appear to be a sensor that measures the oil pressure.

I've asked the question before, more than once, "how did the garage get from a yellow triangle to oil pressure?" Why will you not tell us this?

You have a yellow triangle. What else is wrong? Not what has been diagnosed, but what else can you as the driver see or feel is wrong with the way the vehicle operates?

Does the oil pressure light illuminate when the ignition is turned on?
Does it then extinguish as the engine starts?

The yellow light is very likely a simple issue, simply fixed, if we can stop fixating on the oil pressure.:bang:

Oil pressure senders switch the signal to earth. To test the low oil light unplug the sender. If light goes out its likely to be a sender issue. However, if it goes on again when you contact the wire to earth you need to test the oil pressure at the sender unit.

If the light never goes out at all, your warning is not for oil pressure.

Last edited:
Back