General Hi, can you help?

Currently reading:
General Hi, can you help?

Punto999

Hi
I'm new to this forum and registered as I am having problems with my punto and was hoping someone might be able to help. Just posted this in the newbies forum but thought that this might be a better place for it?
My car is a 2001 Y reg 1.2 base model. I'm having problems with it stalling when in low revs and then not starting again for about 5-10 minutes. For instance it happened on my commute in today whilst I was in crawling traffic. I was at a stand still (pretty much) with the clutch in and it stalled and wouldn't restart. After waiting about 5-10 minutes it restarted and seemed ok. The same thing has happened a few times recently and also in the past - also have problems with starting it sometimes but it seems that if you wait a while it's ok.
Obviously it's not ideal or reliable like this and I was hoping for some suggestions of what to do or what it could be. Took it to a Fiat garage for a diagnostic test a while back but they charged us £60 and told us there was nothing wrong with it. As it seems to come and go does that mean that any garage will tell me the same thing?
Any help/suggestions/comments would be hugely appreciated! Thanks.

Once it it running it is usualy ok. There have been times when it's started ok but then been quite 'juddery' but after some revving and driving it's been ok.
To be honest I am a bit clueless when it comes to cars (!) but the car has been serviced annually. Don't know whether that means that spark plugs and lead are new or not!

If it was me i would try the cheap things first try changin your spark plugs that can cause juddery in the engine but many things can and i would put injecter cleaner in the tank thats the both i would try first. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Are these things I can do myself - bearing in mind my essentially clueless nature?!

The fuel injecter cleaner is easy to do yourself just pour it into your petrol tank must have to be on quater or just under quater of petrol left to use the cleaner then take it for a good 15min run or so the spark plugs you need a tool forget the name i call it a plug spanner to take them out and put the new ones in it dosnt cost alot and the HT leads that plug into the spark plugs have to be put in the same order you take them off after repleacein the spark plugs it is easy to do so you just use masken tape around the leads and put A B C D but if you arnt really sure i would get sumone else to do it.

Last edited:
Back