Technical HGT Variator...AGAIN!

Currently reading:
Technical HGT Variator...AGAIN!

Ems

Cruising in the Fens!
Hi everyone! The dreaded diesel noise has reared its ugly head on my HGT for the SECOND time and I'm not happy :bang:

I've already had to have it changed, fortunately Fiat coughed up a 70% goodwill contribution the first time as it was just out of manufacturer's warranty, but now because it's 16 months after it was changed, the parts they replaced the first faulty variator with are out of the dealer warranty (12 months). Has anyone had the variator fail more than once and got any further contribution towards the cost? I've just rung my local dealer and they aren't entertaining the idea that I shouldn't have to pay for it (even though they actually admitted it shouldn't fail once let alone twice).

Any ideas how to progress/advice would be greatfully received :) My boyfriend's taking the mickey that my car sounds worse than his diesel and I don't know how much more I can take :D

Hi, i think the variator has gone on my 2002 hgt at only 12k. can you help mw with what you did to get the first claim under way? thanks inadvance

T14086 said:
Parts warranty is 12 months,sorry but thats life & applies to all cars etc.At least you got goodwill previously:)

Yeah I was lucky to get that :)

I just spoke to my local dealer about getting the variator done the first time after reading about it on here, then after they had taken a look at it they spoke to FIAT direct. I wrote about it on here when it happened but I can't find a link just now. They take into account your mileage etc as well I think.

they are quite a common thign to go with the alfa TS 16v engines too:confused:

sometimes you just get really bad luck but TBH a set up like that (the way fiat/alfa madethem) they won't last past 80k, maybe 100k if engine is treated with great respect, no more. unlike honda VVTI job's which seem to last as long as you put oil in them, or don't as some choose to do:rolleyes:

Back