Technical HGT cylinder head bolts

Currently reading:
Technical HGT cylinder head bolts

DaveMcT

Distinguished member
I have to fix bent valves on my car. Obviously, I'll need new parts and gaskets and seals.
Can anyone tell me if the engine will need new cyinder head studs/bolts. Some cars are fit once and throw away.
I'll also need to know the tightening torques and sequence.
Trying to get a manual for the HGT is a real PIA.

Thats what I did, I got the haynes manual for a Bravo/Brava. Its not 100% the same but does cover the engine tightening torques etc.

I'm trying to sort out the Fiat electronic manual but getting it to run on 32bit XP is "fun". Looks like I need an emulator for an early version NT.

In the meantime, can you tell me the torques and sequence.

Yeah no problem,

In
9 , 4, 1, 3 ,7
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
10, 5 ,2, 6, 8
Ex

Stage 1, 20nm
Stage 2, 40nm
Stage 3, 90 Degree
Stage 4, 90 Degree
Stage 5, 90 Degree

Last edited:
The Fiat electronic manual turned out to be a dead loss. Only half of it works and as its proprietary stuff there's no way (I know of) to break into it and read the text.

Oh well £2 plus £1 p&p it was worth the risk.

The engine is stripped WHAT A NIGHTMARE. I gave up removing the whole power unit but at least the head is oof and the valves are out.

The cam belt had stripped some teeth and two exhaust valves are obviously bent. Another 4 show light when I put a torch down the ports. So it looks like a full set of exhaust valves on the list.

The inlets "look" ok but I hadn't got any engr's blue to do a proper check. I cant believe they all got away untouched.

Has anyone got a dodge for removing the variator from the inlet canshaft? I've spent enough so could do without yet another £50 special tool.

Back