Help with upgrading Punto Evo Sound?

Currently reading:
Help with upgrading Punto Evo Sound?

D3L8OY

Alright everyone,

I am totally clueless when it comes to things like this but ive tried to do some reading up about it so here goes...

Im looking to upgrade my sound system so the bass and sound in general is better. Im not looking to get a top end system just something to make the bass n stuff better as i said.

I live just outside Glasgow and im looking for someone to do the work for me and somewhere local to get the parts etc ive been given advice by some mates that i should leaves the speakers as they are, but buy a good head unit and a sub/amp.

Sorry if ive posted this in the wrong section or if i havent followed the rules but can anyone give me some advice one fiat lover to the next :D

I would recommend you upgrade the speakers and amp them up if you have the money.

Installing a sub and amp is pretty easy and you would be wasting your money paying somebody to do it.

What sort of budget do you have. On a tight budget i would recommend one of the JBL packages from caraudiosecrity.com

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I would agree change your speakers. the ones built in are crap. the head unit is capable of far better sound. As for doing it yourself be careful. The speakers are riveted into the door and the rear panel. If you have the 3 door version you need to take all the seats out to get the panels off. Believe me the don't come off without problems and its a nightmare getting them back on again. I did my last car, a grande punto and the panels squeaked after that, no matter what I did.

I have posted about how to get a sub in as my new Punto Evo Sporting is now in the garage but, due to a cock up by the garage, they didn't order the style pack (with sub). They are going to change all my speakers for my old pioneers taken from my old car. So any problems they need to fix it.

Without an external amp I doubt you will notice any vast improvment. The aftermarket speakers are less sensitive so whilst quality may improve it's abit pointless if they are drowned out by road noise.

I don't have a Evo but I have a Grande (3door) and there is definite improvement with upgrading the stock speakers and throwing in some cheep sound deadening. Like you I am/was a complete novice with all this a couple of months ago.

I put in some Rainbow SLX265 Deluxe comps in the front with some sound deadening - unbranded stuff but similar to the brownbread stuff I believe - and the sound produced is so much better than before. I haven't touched the rear speakers, they just provide some fill from behind.

The stock ones used to struggle above volume 18-20 on the OEM head unit (which I'm not replacing by the way), whereas the new ones just keep on going up and up. I do have to say that due to them being less sensitive, 100ish watts opposed to the 20w stock ones, I am finding I have to have the volume up to 12/13 to get a similar level of sound as when the stock ones were on about 8, but this is to be expected.

As for adding bass, as mentioned go for a sub with an amp, though the speakers are better there is a noticeable lack of low end.

I still plan on amping mine and adding a sub at some point as I want to complete my first car audio 'project' but in all honesty for day-to-day use and enjoyable listening upgraded speakers (with some deadening) are a definite improvement on their own. It will be the first thing I do on any future cars I own.

Alright guys,

Just wanted to give a heads up...

I got a sub and amp put in my car and the sound is amazing now. If im honest the stock speakers are really poor and i blew one of them after a day or two, so im looking at getting them replaced but im not sure after reading some of the replies here.

Is there no way i can simply remove the existing speakers and replace them with better ones?

In the Grande I needed to drill out the old speakers, drill new holes in the door and then rivet in the new speakers. This issue is the original holes are too far out for a new speaker to locate over them. I suspect that this hasn't changed for the Evo.

A 'simpler' way would be to use something like this:
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp?product_code=CT25FT07 (or maybe even make your own)
which avoids the drilling into the door and re-uses the old speaker hole locations. This still needs to be riveted in to the original holes but then any 165mm speaker can be screwed into this.

Their might be other solutions but I'm no expert and only going form the experience with my GP.

Im sure people have just screwed into the stock location but cant be 100% sure.

When you made you comment do you mean about not adding an external amp?

Im not sure how they did in the stock location unless fiat change the speaker design at some point.

Mine were like the ones in the guide - the holes far away from the speaker...

270627260.jpg

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/113959-changing-front-speakers-walkthrough-pics.html

also, who was the second comment directed towards volxstu?

also, who was the second comment directed towards volxstu?

Alright guys,
Is there no way i can simply remove the existing speakers and replace them with better ones?

Ahh i see. You need to cut the speaker from the plastic mount very similar to how i did mine.
Forum is playing up. I can find the guide i did later.

Back