Help With Head Unit

Currently reading:
Help With Head Unit

Before I begin, I have read the threads about swapping red and yellow wires around but think my problem may be different.

Bought Pioneer DEH-P800BT (sold the kd-axv33) and tried to plug it in today but I could not get it to work.

First thing that is confusing is that the Yellow 12v constant supply wire has a red tip, and the connector is not like the other ones. It is flat and sort of spatula shaped. I have added a pic so you can see what I mean.

I bought the stereo off ebay and not sure if the previous owner has added the red bit on to the yellow cable or if it is meant to be like that? Should just be a normal bullet connector?

As also can be seen in the pic, the actual red wire is connected to the yellow wire. Does this need to be swapped?!

Cheers for the help

Attachments

• 24112008423.jpg
    24112008423.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Depends on the car, but the yellow and red wires are sometimes connected to there relevant colour wire and sometimes they need reversing. You need to replace the female spade connector with a male bullet connector then just try it both ways and see which enables the unit with the ignition on (y)

Depends on the car, but the yellow and red wires are sometimes connected to there relevant colour wire and sometimes they need reversing. You need to replace the female spade connector with a male bullet connector then just try it both ways and see which enables the unit with the ignition on (y)

Did the other unit come out of a Fiat by any chance looks like they have spliced the red wire onto the Ignition wire (orange yellow on the Ignition Barrel of your car) so ATM you have no permanant feed.

Cheers for the replies.

I took the lead to the electronic guys at work and they spliced off the spade and put on a bullet. I then did what matt has done in his pic, except that I didnt have the splitter connector thingy and so taped it together.

It works now which is a bonus! Now I just need to try and follow the instructions and sort out a connection from the ignition wire to the stereo....could be interesting!

Edit: Not sure if it came from a Fiat. Bought it off a guy with only 1 feedback, took a gamble but paid off as it is in top cndition and got a good price :-D

Last edited:
This is the way my HU is wired up:

DSC00229.jpg

The point of joining the red and yellow wires together is that the car does not have an ignition feed, so it doesn't get any power if you do not do this. BUT if I connect a wire from the ignition (from cig lighter) to the HU (tomorrow lunch time hopefully) so that it switches on and off with the ignition, do I still leave the harness as connected above? Or do I stick the wires back into their original connectors?

I hope this makes some sort of sense!

Last edited:
Not too sure as i said in another thread i just do it i cant really remember what i do LOL. I havnt got ignition feed on mine yet but i think Its Red-Red and Yellow to Ignition of the other way around. Im sure somebody will be able to tell you properly.

Back