Technical Help with FIAT SCUDO 2003 'PROBLEM'

Currently reading:
Technical Help with FIAT SCUDO 2003 'PROBLEM'

Mark Morgan

Hello,

I have a 2003 fiat scudo, no turbo. There is a problem with it which I have struggled to have anyone know what it may be so I hope someone here may have the brains...

THE PROBLEM
The van enters a type of 'limp mode' which appears to happen at complete random. The engine begins to run at an irregular rhythm, white smoke comes out of the exhaust and the power drops, generally preventing the van from going anywhere over 50mph. The severity changes from being very mild to having caused the engine to cut out in the past.

When the van enters this mode, if I turn the ignition off and back on again, it ALWAYS goes back to normal running until the 'limp mode' starts again at any moment. This can happen 1 hour into a long drive or 3 mins into a journey. It does not seem to matter whether the engine is hot or cold or whether it is winter or summer. It doesn't matter which gear I may be in, or if the van isn't being driven and just the engine turned on sat on the drive.
The van can run for several months without the problem happening, or it can happen regularly only minutes after turning the engine on.

WHAT HAVE I HAD DONE?
In the past I have had the the fuel pump changed which hasn't fixed it. I have had the van serviced and all the plugs checked, but they were clean.
The fuel filter was changed once and the problem seemed to have disappeared for possibly 6 months, but due to the temperamental nature of the issue, it is hard to say if changing the filter was the cause of improvement or not.

WHAT I THINK MAY BE THE CAUSE
I have a feeling that it may be something to do with the ECU or some form of sensor.
Can a computer diagnostic be run on Fiat Scudo's from 2003?

If anyone has any suggestions of what to look for or what it may be, please let me know. And if there are any further questions go ahead and ask.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Seen a similar problem to this on Wheeler Dealers when Edd China was working on a Jag. The car would go great up to operating temperature & then go into limp mode. He'd switch off the engine till it cooled down a bit & it would go brilliant again. Turned out to be a throttle response sensor. Easy enough fix but a code reading should tell you if this is the problem.

Back