Help with complaint to fiat

Currently reading:
Help with complaint to fiat

I have had an ongoing complaint with fiat since the 05/05/06 and they have just come back with the worst excuse ever- further work iwill not be done under warranty to the gearbox as its a wear and tear part. B******s!

If it is not covered then why the hell did they do a repair to it in the first place under warranty? Its this repair that has caused the new fault! They just seem to ignore this part.

The original complaint is because they wouldnt do the follow up work required to solve this issue that was created by the original warranty work as i missed a service by about 14 days.

They seem to be ignoring that completly, but just saying the gearbox not being covered is their answer, not we wont budge on the servicing times.

Any ideas of how i can go forward, I mean they are still looking into this as I am not satisfied that it has taken 4 months to come up with that answer, they have wrote to me or called me, when i call the people i speak to dont know whats happening with the case and i never speak to the case owner.

Last edited:
if you miss a service warranty is void, you cant expect them to bend the rules under any circumstances.

if their warranty work caused the problem in the first place you can argue that the job wasn't finished satisfactorily, and provided the original work was carried out before you missed the service they should be liable for the gearbox problem.

have you taken any legal advice? you havent got a leg to stand on if the original warranty work was carried out after you missed a service, but if it was carried out before i'd get some legal advice. the warranty is legal document that they are bound to. you need to know who is legally responsible, then take appropriate action to claim if they turn out to be liable.

personally i'd just get a gearbox off a scrap carf and get it fitted somewhere cheap, the total cost should be £200. thats worth paying if the car isnt working properly. if it turns out fiat were liable you can then make them refurnd you for the work you had carried out.

legal advice is what you need, not forum advice

i take on board what you say about the warranty and the timescales, but the work carried out was done after the late service, there was other work done as well

In my opinion, the opinion of the dealer and alocal mechanic when they did the original work something was put back right/properly therefore they should repair this.

If fiat said that they wouldnt budge on the servicing I woud accept that, but they are not saying this, the are saying a gearbox is a wear and tear part that should need replacing every 26500 miles- which is **** quite frankly

the industry standard definition of a servicable part would not include a gearbox. and you wont find many people who are willing to put something in writing that suggest a gearbox is, especially if they recommend 26500 as the lifetime of a gearbox. there isnt a tribunal in the world that would agree with that statement. if you have it in writing you have a good chance of things going in your favour, but again you need some legal authority to decide, arguing with your dealer isnt going to get you anywhere.

did you file your complaint with fiat UK? surely their response will be a formal letter. if that letter states a gearbox is a servicable part, and that is the reason they refuse to do the work, then you should feel confident.

You can argue that the conditions of any repair work should have been checked and validated at the time of the first repair, hence you are claiming off the statutory 12 month warranty provided with the repair.

my complaint is filed with fiat uk and they just dont seem to care.

Roope- this is the point I am trying to put accross, The selector failed, mashed the box, fiat repair the box under warranty, then box makes noise, garage want to fix it as most likely caused by them, fiat wont auth the parts due to servicing periods. My original complaint was that they wouldnt relax the service thing for this one repair as they had had one go at it and not got it right, now they come back and say a gearbox isnt covered on warranties and is a wear and tear part.

Back