Technical Help with Cinq Sporting Alloys

Currently reading:
Technical Help with Cinq Sporting Alloys

rlaw22

Hi,

I'm new to Cinquecento's, I have a 900cc S model which has steel wheels. I have bought a set of Cinq Sporting alloys. My question is can I use the wheel bolts from my steel wheels with the alloys or do I need different ones, and do I need to fit any spacers as the car currently has none.

Thanks for any help

Yes and Yes I think

Im fairly sure you dont need spacers (My old 900cc handled fine with the Sporting wheels on and no spacers)

The bolts is the only thing Im unsure of, but as bolts appear to go by a common seating standard and length for most cars..I dont see why you would need different ones

you should be ok with original bolts and i wouldnt imagine spcaers would be needed

i fitted a set of sei sporting alloys to a cinq without any hassle at all

should bolts for alloys have a collar on?, stops them from eating into the wheel. Standard bolts wil work tho but in time might damage your wheels,

bean said:
should bolts for alloys have a collar on?, stops them from eating into the wheel. Standard bolts wil work tho but in time might damage your wheels,

Collar being the tapered face?

IIRC, standard bolts for the Cinq arent flat-faced

Without measuring , I'd say 99% DON'T use steel wheel bolts for alloy wheels.
I saw a Punto recently where the owner had done this . The bolts were only engaging for 1.5 turns - nowhere near enough to hold the wheels safely in place .
Having said that , new bolts for alloy wheels were less than £2 each from Fiat , so they're not expensive . You can probably find them for less if you shop around the wheel suppliers.
John

I think there is a difference in the bolts. Remember seeing something about alloy wheel bolts being different to steel wheel bolts to stop the alloy from being 'eaten' as said before.

chaos said:
I think there is a difference in the bolts. Remember seeing something about alloy wheel bolts being different to steel wheel bolts to stop the alloy from being 'eaten' as said before.

Yes and No.

Some alloys require a different type of bolt. Standard Fiat alloys use the same 60 degree taper for both steel and alloy wheels. The only question, as it is for most men, is one of length. Providing the bolts go in one and a half times the bolt diameter then you should be OK. (bolt diameter 12mm, there fore 20mm plus protruding from the back of the wheel, allowing for the disc face too)

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
Yes and No.

Some alloys require a different type of bolt. Standard Fiat alloys use the same 60 degree taper for both steel and alloy wheels. The only question, as it is for most men, is one of length. Providing the bolts go in one and a half times the bolt diameter then you should be OK. (bolt diameter 12mm, there fore 20mm plus protruding from the back of the wheel, allowing for the disc face too)

Cheers

D

The article that I read must have been referring to different bolt designs then!

Back