Technical Help! Wheels rub

Currently reading:
Technical Help! Wheels rub

Peter Keys

Hello, this is my first thread, so i hope i do this right.

My problem (if anyone can help), is simple. I have bought a mk2 punto sporting and it came with 17" rims, but the front tyres rub on full lock.
My tyre dimensions are 205/45/17. I have read that if i get 205/40/17 they should fit with no rubbing. If anyone here can verify this as true, would be appreciated. Thanx

Thanx, if anyone knows for sure please let me know as soon as possible, as i need tyres now.

Last edited:
I've run it through the calculator and 205/45 R17 is too big by 5.1% compared to a 165/70 R14, which I know to be one of the proper stock sizes. 205/40 R17 is much more like it, only being 1.6% larger (within the rule of thumb +/-2.5%).

However, consider this, we are in Britain, not Southern California. Most of the time, our roads have a layer of water on them, and 205-width are just going to aquaplane like a SeaCat. 195/40 R17 is only 0.2% bigger than stock, will aquaplane less, and less likely to infringe the arches due to its width.

Hello, this is my first thread, so i hope i do this right.

My problem (if anyone can help), is simple. I have bought a mk2 punto sporting and it came with 17" rims, but the front tyres rub on full lock.
My tyre dimensions are 205/45/17. I have read that if i get 205/40/17 they should fit with no rubbing. If anyone here can verify this as true, would be appreciated. Thanx

It is true, when I got my punto 1st it had been dropped 50mm and had a set of lenso S7's, with 205/40 R17's all round. No problems atall with rubbing back or front and theres no damage to the arch liners or the wings. Hope thats cleared that up :)

Back