Technical Help Required - Strutbrace on Selespeed Abarth

Currently reading:
Technical Help Required - Strutbrace on Selespeed Abarth

Greggers

has pooped his pants
Hi guys,

I've got ahold of a strutbrace for my Abarth and I knew it was going to be hard to fit, but it's atually ridiculously hard! :mad: I was wondering if there was any peeps on here who got it done on their Selespeed Abarths and if so, could they take some close up pics of how it's fitted? Ideally, I want to get a custom reservoir fitted but for the moment, I just want to see what benefits I get with it fitted.

Any advice and pics gratefull recieved!

Cheers! (y)

Yeah, I've seen a few threads on it but nothing that shows exactly how the reservoir was moved. There's not a whole lot of play in terms of where you can move the reservoir due to the supply and return pipes :mad:

I'm just after a couple of close up shots of the moved reservoir to get an idea of what I need to do... mine just doesn't seem to like being anywhere but where it is already... :bang:

One post here https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/144653-strut-braces-abarth.html?p=1850762

"However, the front was a different matter, as those of you who have had this fitted, or have investigated fitting one, can guess. Yes, the semi-auto gearbox fluid reservoir needs to be moved to allow the brace to connect to the strut. We used bolts to fit the strut brace on, rather than the self-tapping screws/bolts that are suggested on the fitting guide. Then the reservoir was trimmed, and the battery box was also trimmed, to allow everything to fit back together. Unfortunately, we were unable to fit everything back properly, so the reservoir is now wedged between the battery box and the strut brace. Even though it's not fixed down, it can't move from it's current position as the hoses and the fact it's wedged down by the battery box means that it's not going anywhere. Longer term, I plan to have new reservoir fabricated to replace the original one. It shouldn't be expensive, and I can get it done by a company nearby that does custom bits for racing bikes and cars."

Plus a few other pointers on that thread, including pics.

Last edited:
I seem to recall you need to use a resevoir from another car, damned if I can remember which one though...

Those are the lines that I'm thinking along at the moment. I'm thinking maybe 147 Selespeed reservoir? It's a cylinder instead of the moulded plastic jobbie the Stilo has, so might fit better.... :rolleyes:

Cheers for that Stu, really helpful (y) but I could really do with a good close up of the reservoir in it's final position (not picky, I know :D)... hopefully someone on here can help (y)

A question about changing the reservoir... if I clamped off the supply and return pipes and then drained, changed and refilled the reservoir, would I have to do some sort of Examiner proceedure to purge any air introduced into the system? :(

Last edited:
Well, I've ordered a second hand 147 Selespeed reservoir off of eBay for £15... fingers crossed that I can find somewhere handy to put it! No suggestions, thank-you! :D

Does anyone have any clue to my question below about the draining and Examiner? Cheers!!!

Attachments

• 147_Selespeed.jpg
    147_Selespeed.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I had my selespeed flushed/purged with new Tutela about a month ago and they used the examiner to purge the system.

In respect to having a little air in the lines, you might be able to get away with just disconnecting the battery the so pump primes for longer removing any air thats there via the return pipes.

Take that with a pinch of salt though...

Dan

I wonder if just putting the ignition into MAR and just going though all the gears (which makes the pump come on repeatedly) would do the same thing? :rolleyes:

I do want to get my fluid flushed though as well as I have no idea how old it is...

It does, but your moving the gears, wouldnt like to say what happens when the system tries to change gear with an air bubble in a line.

For what it costs I would just get the whole thing flushed/replaced/purged.. I think it cost me about £40 along with some other work doing.

I dont know if thats cheap or not, but its not a lot of money for a bit of piece of mind.

Last edited:
It does, but your moving the gears, wouldnt like to say what happens when the system tries to change gear with an air bubble in a line.

Ah, good point... (y)

For what it costs I would just get the whole thing flushed/replaced/purged.. I think it cost me about £40 along with some other work doing.

I dont know if thats cheap or not, but its not a lot of money for a bit of piece of mind.

That's very true... I figure I'll test fit the new reservoir and make a mount and then get a garage to fit it and change the fluid... should be fine then (y)

Back