General help please

Currently reading:
General help please

liz

:bang::bang:hi all i posted a few weeks ago i have v reg ulysse 2 litre with gas conversion,i lent it my sister and it just stopped on her anyway to cut a long story short i have had it in garage they checked few things and changed a relay ,they tried reading ecu and it wont let them ,there is no spark on it at all ,i ended up with a big bill and still no car .garage said could need new ecu ,where can i get someone who will tell me if this is the problem before i buy one and then find out this is not the problem
thanks in advance for any help recieved
liz:bang::bang:

First point of call would be to find out why they cant communicate with ecu (do this & probably found starting fault) anyway i'd check the supplies/earths to ecu then diagnostic line,if this ok ecu knackered.

(i'd go for wiring/supply/earth fault)

• Thanks
Reactions: liz
thanks for that garage supposed to have checked these but not sure about it myself,how easy is it to do yourself my brother has messed with cars but never ecus,do you think he would be able to check and how should he do it
thanks again
liz
also forgot to mention as soon as turn ignition my fan comes on and something flattening battery very quickly

Last edited:
fan? heater fan or radiator fan?

Can check most of it yourself but problem (and its a big one!) is french wiring diagrams.....imagine the london underground map in black & white with all the station names mixed up,you get the idea!

As for accessing the ECU, I had a problem a few years ago with my 1998 2.0L and the AA man couldn't access the ECU on my car. A Code reader I have now won't access it either, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the ECU. Is this a FIAT garage?
Gordon

Last edited:
Generic code readers are limited (although handy) end of the day if ECU isn't powering up then no point checking elsewhere.

Fiat garages have MPX adaptor to read ECU software which will explain yours & AA's non-communication.

hi thanks for that ,no it is not fiat garage,think i am going to send my ecu to ecu doctor they charge £30 to check it and about £90 for rebuild plus parts, but if rebuild required you dont pay the initial checking fee,unless anyone on here can advice a place local to burnley lancashire i could go to without getting ripped off.
thanks
liz

Hi Liz
Have you tried the multi (dual) relay which is bolted next to the ecu as it works the fuel pump and the coil this may be the cause £40 from local dealer worth a try or go to the scap yard may be cheaper
Hope this helps

• Thanks
thanks for that ,yes this was the relay which the garage changed.
still got no further with it and cant find anywhere local to sort my ecu out someone told me it will be the immobiliser side of the ecu and you can have them de-immobilised but i have no idea where to go or how much it would cost so any help would be appreciated from anyone out there
liz

Hi again Liz,
If you have no luck with your ecu theres a guy on ebay selling the full imobilizer + keys and ecu for £150 or the ecu for about £50 but it will need to be paired up with your imobilizer by the dealer as there coded (just what ive heard) send him a email with your car details hope this helps

• Thanks
Back