Technical Help Please - Intermittent Passenger Electric Window

Currently reading:
Technical Help Please - Intermittent Passenger Electric Window

fiatbravodriver

Hello Guys & Girls,

I am in a bit of a pickle. My 2005 mk2 b has just started having an intermittent problem with the passenger side window.

I have had the switch apart and it looks ok. It makes all the right clicking noises. I have wiggled the cable connector whilst trying to operate.

It didn't work yesterday but today it went down then up then wont work any more.

Any ideas please?

Here is a photo of the connector does anyone know where to stick my multi tester?

Next step to remove the door card I guess but wanted to ask you guys first.

Regards
James

I have been reading this post but I would still like some advice please :)
https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/355244-electric-windows-wont-work-so-confused.html

Last edited:
Removed the door card and the motor and the motor spins. I have not fully removed the grommet between the door and the body but I am getting 11.9v to the motor.

I think it must be the motor ???????

had same problemo on other car, clicking while pressing button but nothing happening, motor was working, problem was that window was stuck, so i cleaned and greased all the sides of the window and guides with vaseline, havent had problem since

Hi just a quick update. I have removed the grommet and all wires look fine. I have ordered a replacement motor will give that a try. I think the window is fine and I do appreciate the suggestions.

If you guys have any more please post. Thanks.

Hi just a quick update. I have removed the grommet and all wires look fine. I have ordered a replacement motor will give that a try. I think the window is fine and I do appreciate the suggestions.

If you guys have any more please post. Thanks.

Since you seem to be in the door quiet well atm

I'd seriously suggest trying moving the window up and down on its own *by hand*

JUST DONT DROP THE WINDOW

Feel for any ""rough spots"", if so clean and lubricate

Ziggy

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply Ziggy. I think the window appears to move ok by hand. Didnt want to mess with it too much.

Have pulled the gator off and all the wires look ok. I know they can break inside but I cant see any sign of ware.

Any other ideas? anyone know which one the earth is?

Last edited:
Fitted new motor and still the same ahhhhhhhh!

Ok so can only be the wiring.

How easy is it to find the other end of the loom to remove it as there is no chance of redoing the cables with the door on.

James

See you no listen..

Ah well you've now got a spare motor for the parts box..

The wiring loom at the door post..push it through the hole..take it out at the other side and then you will have enough room to work with it..

'What I'd do is..push that wiring loom through the hole in the door post..
Pull it through at the other 'side..

Then you will have plenty of room to work with it..
Starting with the multi-conector pins inspect them and the wiring..

Any broken or chaffed wiring.. crop it off and splice in a good peice.. don't forget to heat shrink..if this is so..

Multi-meter might be useful here to..at least then you can test right back to the 'switch'.

If it turns out to be an iffy..switch don't buy one..send me a 'pm.

since i dont own the wiring diagram to post up - i'll post some info

Driver side Motor Pin 1 goes to switch pin 3 via White/red wire
Driver side Motor Pin 2 goes to Switch pin 4 via Violet/yellow wire

Passenger side Motor Pin 1 goes to switch pin 6 via Violet/Black
Passenger Side Motor Pin 2 goes to Switch pin 5 via Violet/Whie

So now atleast you can do some Continuity testing between the wires

Btw there is no ""earth wire"" as such for the motor, as its 1 Motor that changes polarity to change the direction of travel

From the diagram i have, it says that it recieved 2 negative feeds, so motor is null - wont move
When you press the Up or down switch, it'll change 1 of the feeds to a positive one and the motor will spark into life

IF the door is at various points and the fault is still present it doesn't change, i'd be inclined to check that the relay powering the windows isn't clicking off when it shouldnt
The switch is healthy and that the wiring is low in resistance as you move the door around

Ziggy

Thanks Ziggy for taking the time to write a reply. I got fed up with trying to resolve so booked the car in. The auto electrician said he could not find any fault. I got billed for an hour of diagnostics. He said the amount of times the window went up and down he was surprised the motor had not burnt out.

I would have much rather he find a cable out and replaced as who knows if it does it again. I have used the window loads and so far ...... :)

Back