Technical Help! Oil leaving into spark plugs 1981 spider

Currently reading:
Technical Help! Oil leaving into spark plugs 1981 spider

Jgmfiat1981

New to the group have a 1981 fiat that I bought from my father a month ago he restored it and has done most of the work drive it from Michigan to Chicago a month a go just a few days ago I felt the car kinda putter drove it back to my place and it has been sitting for a day or so went to check the oil and noticed that there was oil in the spark plugs cleaned it out and check the oil very little in there so my father suggested that to it could be a seal or a gasket there is no oil leaking Under the car just on the spark plugs I add for oil but still is sputtering I have no idea what to do if anyone has somewhere in Chicago to take the car or knows anyone who can help guid me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it

Hi... Welcome to the forum.

Gaskets 5 and/or 6 in the diagram would be likely culprits.
04 Cylinder Head.gif

Concur with gaskets 5 and 6.

The camshaft carrier, items 13 and 14, are flooded with oil so gaskets 5 are essential for sealing. Sadly these gaskets are a wire/similar reinforced grey graphite like material gasket that have no compression/expansion properties so over time will leak. If the gaskets are in good conditions then usually smearing them with Hylomar Blue will sort the problem out.

It is possible to get those gaskets (5) with a silicon sealing bead. I bought two from Guy Croft but sadly Guy passed away last year but his wife Gloria is running his parts business. See: https://guycroftracingengines.bee-online.com/ but I don't see those gaskets listed so you may have to Email Gloria.

Back