Styling Help Needed Fitting 'Abarth' Bumper

Currently reading:
Styling Help Needed Fitting 'Abarth' Bumper

nawtwrong

Hi, I've just spent the last 4 hours trying to fit an 'Abarth Replica' Bodykit to my Mk 2 Punto Mia 1.2 (2001).

I started with the rear bumper and all the holes, brackets and fixings are in the right place, but there is like a metal bar on the back of the car that's preventing the ports on the bumper from moving flush to the car and I cannot fit it.

Has anyone fitted one of these?

Does anyone know what this block/bar of metal on the back of the car is?

Could I remove it to allow the new bumper to fit?

Any ideas hugely appreciated!!!

Thanks...

I replaced a couple of plastic bumpers with some colour coded ones last week and don't recall a 'bar' being at the back which would be in the way?

Wasn't an Abarth bumper (or replica) but sounds like it's the back of the car that's causing the problem...

Thanks for the reply.

I too am replacing the standard plastic bumpers.

Just behind the number plate area on the original plastic bumper there is a large 'block' of metal that sticks out from the car.

It does not interfere with the original bumper, but when I tried to fit the new one it's obstructing the left and right ports (see pic link above).

I think it's just the way the new 'abarth' bumper has been designed.

I've no idea what this metal part does but if it was removable I think this would solve the problem.....?

It's just that I know of plenty of people fitting the Abarth bumpers but can't recall anyone having this problem.

But it may just be that they were all official ones and not copies?

That's possible, I've seen the exact same bumpers or sale elsewhere and even fitted to other puntos.

Like I say it's just one part that's stopping it from fitting nicely in place.

I'm tempted to angle grind the parts of the metal that are stopping the bumper fitting.

What do u reckon?

Patience on this one my friend!

You could end up doing something unneccessary and wreck back end just to get the bumper on.

Good point, I was just looking forward to having new bumpers after having the standard plastic ones for a year.

I'll see what I can find out about this bumper or find someone who has fitted the exact same one.

Cheers

Thanks, maybe I should've got the real McCoy instead of a replica but surely other people have bought these replica kits and fitted them.

I'm trying to get a picture of the rear bumper and metal on the car obstructing it.

If anyone reading this has fitted a replica, I'd appreciate your input.

cheers.

Not being the real Mc'coys; do you mean the fiat ones; are they the carzone ones like in the picture of my old car (just by me name)! As they are nearly the same of the abarth ones! I had a 1.2 mia and ive got loads of pictures of how and when i fitted em! I sort throught em and post some they might help!

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes they look similar to ones on your picture, but I'm pretty sure they're not Carzone ones.

If you could post some pictures that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Back