General Help my puntos filling up with water!!

Currently reading:
General Help my puntos filling up with water!!

charlene homer

HELLO my mk1 punto has started fillin up with water behind the driver seat ive checked all the door seals and around the windows but its not comin in from there!! the funny thing is it never fills up facing down hill but everytime i park it up hill thats when the water gets in?? also the seat belt in the bk behind the drivers seat was dripping wet does any1 have any ideas where it could be getting in as my car smells like eggs now hahah please help if you can x
also everywhere else is bone dry its just behind the drivers seat

hello coolants fine x its defo rain water as it stays dry when it doesnt rain also the passenger seat belt in the bk is soakin wet

hello coolants fine x its defo rain water as it stays dry when it doesnt rain also the passenger seat belt in the bk is soakin wet

Have you possibly got a dodgy window seal nr passenger seat?? I would not wish to encourage the 'eggy'' smell further, but on a dry day grab a mate or family member and try pouring some water over on the roof/window area near where water ingress is happening. If the water is leaking in that area where you think then there should be water trail of some kind that should lead you to the fault? Old water (usually white-ish) stains might be a clue as well to locating probable cause.

How long has this been happening?

Mk1 Punto undo the plastic which holds the cartpet
in place and probably rear seat - lift back the carpet
and check for rust and perforation holes.

If it's more visible try prodding from under the car
you may find the foam under the carpet is visible
through a hole. Other than that could be the top
of the door seal allowing water in. Get someone
to sit in the car while you tip water along the top
of the door.

John

its only been happenin for about 3 months if it is comin in through the bk window why is the the seat belt soakin wet its not drivers seat belt its the passenger belt in the back thats wet and the seat belt doesnt touch the floor?? cheers xxx

its only been happenin for about 3 months if it is comin in through the bk window why is the the seat belt soakin wet its not drivers seat belt its the passenger belt in the back thats wet and the seat belt doesnt touch the floor?? cheers xxx

Did I say back window :confused:, sorry if I did, I meant the rear passenger window. I targeted this area as I had a similar problem to yours when I had a Punto Mk1. I thought the rubber had perished as car was off the road for two years but it turned out to be dirt/moss clogged up water channels near where the rubber sits on the window causing the build up of water thereby making it seek alernative routes to find!:p

hello have check round the window no water comin in from there, no leaks in the front of the car itz like its ccomin through the seat belt in the bk if that makes sense

OK it wasn't a Punto, but I once had a Austin Mini 1000 that would fill up in the rear footwells. It had me foxed until I realised it only happened when I used the car in the rain. Leave it parked and all was fine. It turned out to be holes in the rear subframe mounts. If you think its from around the rear seat, you could leave the seat folded down - When it rains you might be able to see the trail of water. Even better take out the seats and rear carpets and have a proper look around.

Sounds to me like a roof seal has split, and it's coming in where the "seatbelt height adjuster" is located, somehow.... I could be wrong though.

Back