Technical HELP! Is it my coolant light, what can I do?

Currently reading:
Technical HELP! Is it my coolant light, what can I do?

Kerrie Ann

Hi guys,

I'm new to this but I really need your help. I have a Fiat Punto S, 1997 I think. A new light has suddenly appeared on the dashboard, along with smoke / steam whenever I attempt to put the heating on full blast.

Ok, if you were to look at the fuel gauge on the dashboard, to the right of the petrol symbol and above the symbol that looks like a thermometer dunked in water, there is a round light. Mine keeps coming on. I know it can't be good. So can somebody please explain to me because I'm really worried about my car! The water is full, I have anti-freeze in there, the oil is fine...please guys, what's going on?!

Kerrie Ann.

Hey Kerrie-Ann,

The warning light you mention is for the Water Temperature...

The fact that steam/smoke is coming out of the heater could point to a blockage/split in one of the hoses?

Then again, my '97 55s had the same warning light when my Head Gasket went :(

I'm sure someone here will be able to provide a better idea!

Hi there, that warning light is for when your engine is overheating, when you have your heater set to hot air is it just blowing out cold? If so it could may be just the Thermostat has stuck closed, also is the radiator fan coming on in the engine bay?

Help! Is it my coolant light, what can I do?

Oh man, this sounds like it's going to be expensive...and I haven't got much money!

I'm pretty sure the radiator fan is coming on too...I really don't know too much about cars, but a fan has been coming on, and the sound comes from the bonnet.

The worst part of this is that that light came on after a drive of 15-20 minutes! Now surely, normally, the engine temperature shouldn't be so high after that amount of time?

Possibly might be the Head Gasket then witch isnt good news, as it will cost around £350-400 to repair in a mainstream garage, unless you know any mechanics on a side street garage, that should only cost you under £200 to repair, hopefully it isnt the HG but the best way to find out is to take it to a garage and get a pressure test done.

Well, I'm screwed if it is the head gasket, because I have no money right now...and I may not be getting any more in for a long time. I really love my car too, this sucks. Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated.

If it isnt the Head Gasket though or if it is, if you keep driving it while the temp light is on you could end up with a damaged engine thats unrepairable, sorry.. (n)

kerrie ann, parts for fiats are cheap..
thermostat = £11
headgasket = £13-20
heater hoses = £10 or less
heater matrix = breakers yard maybe £15.

its labour that will kill you. what town are you in? maybe a member could have a look at it and tell you what the problem is. otherwise a garage will charge you 2hours of labour (at £60 hour) to tell you the same thing. wheras most members can be paid in cake/chocolate, which is much cheaper LOL

my light kept coming on after short journeys, and my pipes kept on bursting!! had to replace them 3 times because my thermostat had rusted and wud not open. try replacing the thermostat. cheap to buy, under £10, and easy to install.

or it could just be air trapped in the cooling system

Back