Technical Help! fuel starvation - loss of power

Currently reading:
Technical Help! fuel starvation - loss of power

d-p

Hi,
My 1999 Bravo 1.6 Petrol goes to the garage tomorrow as there is something wrong, it feels like fuel starvation when trying to accelerate... but then after a while the power will kick in again...
Oh and when pulling away (not breaking) the handbrake light flashes on and off... I appreciate this might not be related and I need to check the brake pads (doing that at the weekend.).. but just in case...:eek:

The guy at the garage is being particularly unhelpful and I suspect he'll tell me theres nothing wrong :mad: (the classic - girls no nothing)

Any suggestions on what it might be, so I can point him in the right direction would be great!!!

injector failure is very common on the 1.6, in the early stages you can get intermittent power loss because one of the injectors isnt squirting fuel correctly. measuring the resistance of the injectors is the easiest way to doagnose it, if one has a lower resistance than the others (especially below 13ohms) its a sign there is a problem.

the brake light will probably be due to low brake fluid level, or the pads are worn, or the pad wear indicator wire is shorting on something, or the switch for the handbrake is faulty.

Last edited:
Thanks Jug,
Checked the brake fluid and had the hand brake tightened (as it seems to undo itself), both these are ok... I think I need to get the pads checked... as I say, a job for the bank holiday. :)

Apparently she had new injectors at 80,000, shes now on 122,000... but has never had a new fuel pump... I've got to talk to the mechanic tomorrow to let him know the symptoms...I have noticed shes getting worse thou... doesnt sound 100%. :(

Back