Technical Help - Fuel Cap Problem !!!!!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Help - Fuel Cap Problem !!!!!!!

DEMONKNIGHT

Hi all,

Came to my car this afternoon and petrol all over the floor and dripping from directly under fuel cap (black surround near rear wheel) from bottom of car.

Took off the cap and Petrol sitting in the hole (technical) so when cap replaced it pushed more petrol out the sides, I did fill up yesterday and I do have problems filling @ local Tesco (very slow going) I put in around £20 and it had a quarter of a tank left.

Easy question, have I overfilled it and done some interesting cornering and it's just spilled out (but why was it sitting in the over fill) previously I have'nt had any petrol smells or petrol leaking out of the cap or any problems of that nature (only the filling problem @ Tesco).

I managed to syphon the petrol sitting in the cap and clean the side of the car, just checked it and it's not dripping anymore and there's no petrol in the cap.

Is it safe to drive ?
Any help please ?

Just checked it and it's full of petrol again and it's dripping on the floor (worried now) so the cap which I empted about 20 mins ago is now full up again.

OUCH - I do have AA cover I think I'll give them a ring

Not sure if it will help but when I first got my cinq it was leaking petrol from the cap. Mine was the little rubber thats around the top of the cap.. changed that and it didnt leak again. You could hear it as it couldnt seal properly.

Right, here goes.

Fuel filler neck has a vent line from right near the top to the top of the tank. Should be impossible to get overflow this way as excess pressure should be vented by a 2 way valve also fitted to the neck.

If it leaks from the cap then as stated cap seal may be shot or seating face broken / damaged - need a new cap or petrol resistant rubber seal if you can find one.

Thanks for your replys,

I did call the AA and he syphoned some fuel out for me and it's now fine.

He said I had overfilled it not sure why it was wasn't vented out though as you suggested.

I'll keep an eye on it and won't fill it up so much next time.

Cheers

Back