General Help ! Fiat Punto - overheating ?!

Currently reading:
General Help ! Fiat Punto - overheating ?!

Allyshoes

Hi - I'm new and need some advice.

My thermostat indicator went from cold to the red and down again before up again accompanied by a lovely smell of burning !

Having my previous Punto suffer its head gasket being blown I took it straight down to the local Garage.

The mechanic agreed the symptoms sounded like the thermostat had gone and said he would replace it.

However 2 days on and the indicator goes from cool to mid way (it never went to mid way before - always stayed around the cool mark !) and still I can smell something which doesn't smell great ! No smoke as yet and plenty of water still in where it should be.

Anyway owner of Garage was on holiday at weekend so I have to pay him tomorrow but a) not sure how much the new thermostat should be costing me and b) wonder if it's something other than the thermostat but don't want to ripped off as know very little about engines !!

Help please !!

hey there if it is the thermostat then any one with a haynes manual can fix it all u got 2 do is buy the thermostat, also it cud be the casing leading to the thermostat, when you sit with ur engine on stationary does the radiator blow?

Hi - the mechanic did replace the thermostat on saturday - that's why I am worried as although the indicator isn't going back up to the red it is still hovering around mid way even with loads of water in.

The fan is kicking in - I'm just not convinced the problem has been solved.

Will get owner to check his employees work tomorrow when I'm meant to pay....thats why I need to know roughly how much it will cost me. And I'm also going to get the Owner to make sure if the problem wasn't the thermostat that he finds out what it is - I just wondered if anyone had any ideas......

Burning smell seems to start not long after engine is switched on - I've only been doing short journeys as I've been too worried to go too far......after what happened with my last cars head gasket blowing out of nowhere I'm sure you can see why I'm worried :)

So you think it sounds normal then ?

I hope so as the exhaust went last month and that cost me £180 !

What with needing to renew my breakdown cover I'm really hoping the Garage are not going to charge me a fortune for the new thermostat !

al round my thermistat cost me 30 quid, but i dun it myself, its an hr job so labour shudnot be that much, and if ur not sure dnt drive it...its dangerous, hope everything goes ok and goodluck at the garage...dnt let them cowboy you

i had a similar problem.... engine gets overheated and the guage goes right to the top after driving for 10 mins. first thing to check is for air block. the guy at the garage filled up the water and and when it is full, opened the white plug on radiator. water level dropped down removing air block...... when water wa scoming off radiator plug, he closed it, filled watr to brim...... it is working fine now.......

Back