Technical HELP! DIY Head Gasket?

Currently reading:
Technical HELP! DIY Head Gasket?

herut

Well, the head gasket on my 1998 1.6 petrol engine has gone kaput. (Overheating a bit, but no coolant loss, then last week: ZOOM overheated to the top, I pull over, no coolant; I add coolant and 8 KM later, its gone. Sure enough, mayo in the oil filler neck (although not a lot.) No sign of other external leakage, but fresh coolant--what's left of it...-- now brown.) Since I've been out of work for over 9 months, I'm considering trying this myself. (Have done DIY brakes, shocks, various sensors and regular maintenance items, but never an engine head overhaul.)

So 5 questions:
1. Does ANYBODY have a step-by-step guide, pdf or otherwise on exactly how I do this? (I checked Haynes but it's really not specific enough for this procedure.)

2. Can a person use hi-temp/copper Forms-A-Gasket for the head? Or must one use the OEM gasket? (I presume the latter.)

3. My supplier has a kit with a whole bunch of gaskets in it for my engine. Are there other gaskets/seals I will need to change BESIDES the head gasket itself? If so, what are they and how accessible or non-accessible are they?

4. Besides a torque wrench and crafting a tool to lock the timing sprockets, are there other specialized tools I would need?

Am I crazy to try to do this myself? The garages here want about $1,000 US, but seem reluctant and want to sell me on a complete re-built engine swap instead. Any pointing in the right direction greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
--Jeff

1000 buggs??? For that kind of money i can buy a hole car. What? I just sold mine for 900 dollars. That was a 5 cilinder 2.0 liter 20valve.
Fjew, pretty expensive!

If you were living in my area it would cost you a quarter for repair!
But, can it be done? Offcourse it can. But, you do have to have a bit of knowledge. Is it a 8V or 16V engine? In case of a 8 valve it's a little easier.

Special tools: indeed a torque wrench and a couple of torx bits.

If you think you can do it yourself i can help you step by step, no problem. I can send pictures by mail and documentation if you like.

Greatings
Dennis

its worth a try but go on gumtree.com or google, HYPERSEAL i had a saab turbo previous blew the head and used that and it ran perfect if not actually better was only £20 delivered. its worth a shot various other ones on market that one though recomended by another mechanic, at end of the day its 20quid and worth a shot before you start strip down and gettin head skimmed.

let me know how you get on.

just noticed post above dennis may have heard of htis also and may have known people who've also tried it. if you need the link pm me ill try find it.

Back