Technical Help! Clutch cable change issue

Currently reading:
Technical Help! Clutch cable change issue

Purple Tom

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2001 Seicento SX.

My boyfriend is changing my clutch cable after it snapped and we printed off the instructions from this forum on how to change the clutch cable.

We have hit a bit of a stumbling block, we can't seem to remove the dashboard shelf situated on the passengers side footwell without having to remove the whole dashboard.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

jenny x

It says in the instructions to remove the shelf to gain access to the clutch cable. I don't know about cinq's but the clutch cable on the seicento goes from the front of the engine bay on the passenger side around towards the back and then across to the driver side of the engine bay

jenny x

Nope, you aren't going mad- the Seicento dash is a one-piece lump, which makes clutch cable replacement more of a pain, but far from impossible. It just means there's less room to work in! :cry:

Under the dash on the passenger side you'll have to remove a black metal panel covering the linkage. The bottom screws come out ok, but the top one is blocked by the dash.... good thing is the plastic block it screws into is a loose fit, and a swift tug will release the lot. :D

After that the cable end should be clearly visible.

(y)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long to get back to you!

I managed to do it in the end, luckily I am good at working where you can't see what you're doing (years of working on Mini's!). The clutch cable had actually snapped at the 90 degree angle section where it goes through into the pedal linkage mechanism...

In a way this was good because it meant I didn't have to mess around with the split pin, it just pulled through from the 'other' side, split pin intact!

Once I'd done that the rest of it was pretty straightforward. I just couldn't believe that Fiat had designed it such that access was so awkward for what should be an easy job!! (Hence Jenny going on t'internet and starting this thread!). I also found the amount of sound deading around the clutch cable linkage to be a bit of a pain as well.

Never mind, all sorted now, the Sei lives again!! Off to change the rear shoes, discs, pads and get the handbrake working properly now (y)

Maybe this thread could be moved into the Cinq/Sei section as well rather than blocking up the Fiat chat section??

Thanks!

Tom and Jenny

Back