Technical HELP/1996 brava sx 5 door 16v

Currently reading:
Technical HELP/1996 brava sx 5 door 16v

kiwimum

Can someone please help,i recently bought athis car and have issues badly,car doesnt idle and keeps surging when driving slow,goes through alot of gas and when at a halt i can smell gas and the exhaust is really loud,also cuts out when coming to a halt and going again..have been to 2 different mechanics in a week and one said it was the ignition coil and another said it was a faulty computer,went with the faulty computer and got that replaced,but doesnt seem to be doing what i would have expected after paying a big price..PLEASE HELP..:confused:

You need to get your exhaust properly looked at and fixed, so there are no air leaks at all. If air gets into the exhaust before it reaches the lambda (mixture) sensors this can confuse the engine computer and make it run badly.

Find a mechanic that knows what they are doing, get a diagnostic done on the ECU to point at any faults.

Also these engines can have problems with the fuel injectors.

Bluejohn already named the most common failures. But there is one that can cause almost all problems you have. Its worth checking.

That is as simple as belt timing. I have a delta nuveau that has the same isues. It has to do with map fuel metering and that the exhaust could flow back into the intake.

Tamael

Back