Hello, newbie in need of some help =P

Currently reading:
Hello, newbie in need of some help =P

chrisdoh1983

Just bought an r reg brava from a 'friend', he says it lay in a drive for a good while, around 6 months, new spark plugs and ht leads fitted and car was running ok, last nite it jst died while i was driving, all the lights were on but engine cut out, nearly bumped started a couple times then wasnt turning over when key was being turned altho all lights came on fine, i put petrol in it and tried to jump start but nothing, managed to get going after a bump start, but this morn car was dead, not turning over when key turned, all lights on :confused:

Just bought an r reg brava from a 'friend', he says it lay in a drive for a good while, around 6 months, new spark plugs and ht leads fitted and car was running ok, last nite it jst died while i was driving, all the lights were on but engine cut out, nearly bumped started a couple times then wasnt turning over when key was being turned altho all lights came on fine, i put petrol in it and tried to jump start but nothing, managed to get going after a bump start, but this morn car was dead, not turning over when key turned, all lights on :confused:

Cranking the motor takes a huge amount of power, far more than the lights do. So in theory, the lights can look fine but the battery doesnt have the "puff" to crank the engine into life.

If the battery is in anything but 100% good working order I'd replace it. 3 - 5 years is normal age of a battery for replacement.

Also check the battery connections & the earth point at the starter motor, a decent check for that is running a battery jump lead from the negative post of the battery to the body of the starter motor, if that works for you then remove, clean & make good all thick cable connections especially as in your case where the car has been standing un-used.

Last edited:
Back