General Hello hello...

Currently reading:
General Hello hello...

Hi everyone..

I joined the Forum back in 2008 as a Seicento Sporting owner..

A year later I picked up a Seicento Schumacher..

The plan was to use the Schu for a while then store it for future use..

But, I'm now under pressure to sell it since my wife wants "a sensible second car"..:(

It looks like I'll be parting company with No.2520 fairly soon...

The trade off being that I can look for a project of some sort to mess with over the coming years(?)..

I've always been fond of Pandas and have (several times) thought of buying one to restore..

At the moment I'm considering either a Classic Panda or a Mk2 VW Polo Coupe..

No plans to modify either, standard all the way!

I'll keep an eye out in the usual places and see what comes along :)

Cheers

:life:

:p Only kidding. Pandas are more of a head-turner than V-dubs, they're too common now as -everyone- wants one! (n)

Plus, I think Pandas are more reliable.. :D

Rhys:rolleyes:

Good luck with the hunt!

I have a Sei Sporting as a daily driver myself and I love it to bits(y)

I am very partial to old skool VW myself, I love the Mk 1 / Mk 2 Golfs - I would love an old GTI tucked away in my garage!

I was in a very similar position regards a project car very recently, it was always going to be a Panda - I decided to go for old and picked up Kev's 1984 mark 1 for restoration.

To me, Pandas always seem to turn heads - they are fun cars and people who owned them always seem to have fond memories of them. Personally, I love the way they look and the way they drive(y).

If you go for a Panda, try to narrow your search down to an edition that you really love - for me it was always a COLOUR, a 750L, a twin sunnies car or any mark 1. In the end the look of the mark 1 did it for me!!!

Spring is here now and there do seem to be more cars available on eBay of late after a bit of a winter drought...

Mk 2 Polo breadvans were my go to choice of cheap motor a few years ago and was looking really hard for one a few months back. However I could not find a good one for sensible money... There seems to have been a bit of a halo effect from the mk 1 and 2 Golfs, and anything reasonable seems to have been got by euro look crowd. Which is fine, but not really for me, as I'm nudging 40 and really don't want to look like I'm having a mid life crisis... :)

Found a Panda 750L, and here I am... From memory Polos are a little more refined, and the driving position is a little more comfortable, but the Panda has it beat for sheer charm, and is an absolute hoot to drive.

Cheers
John

Last edited:
Thanks folks(y)

The Schuey sailed through its MOT yesterday so will probably be on the market within a few weeks..

Like I said the disappointment of losing it will be offset against gaining a project..

I do really fancy a Panda though and would love to just stumble upon one locally, but I think a wider search may be in order..

We shall see..

Good to be here though and thanks again for the welcomes :)

Thanks folks(y)

The Schuey sailed through its MOT yesterday so will probably be on the market within a few weeks..

Like I said the disappointment of losing it will be offset against gaining a project..

I do really fancy a Panda though and would love to just stumble upon one locally, but I think a wider search may be in order..

We shall see..

Good to be here though and thanks again for the welcomes :)

There's a lovely CL in the classifieds on here...it's a beauty(y)

well my 1990 sergio tachini is up for grabs.. . they are quit rare now .it needs a new lump and a door and some paint but it still looks good and its a sound body ,would make a good project. shame you are so far away

well my 1990 sergio tachini is up for grabs.. . they are quit rare now .it needs a new lump and a door and some paint but it still looks good and its a sound body ,would make a good project. shame you are so far away

It is a shame, sounds just the job.

I'm looking forward to a resto project rather than a completed car..

It's always the case though..

Everything seems to be at the other end of the country these days :(

I don't fancy an 800 mile round trip..

I've access to a trailer, etc but it would cost a fortune to collect..

The search continues (y)

Last edited:
1000 mile trip to get Purple Haze! but well worth it though :D(y)

The way fuel prices are going, I'll be walking there and pushing the car home..

the 500 miles home cost just over £80 in petrol if i remember right and the second fill up was £1.50 a litre :eek: then £50 for the flight was cheaper than i expected it to be does but a lot on the price of the car though! but i couldn't pass up the chance :D

the 500 miles home cost just over £80 in petrol if i remember right and the second fill up was £1.50 a litre :eek: then £50 for the flight was cheaper than i expected it to be does but a lot on the price of the car though! but i couldn't pass up the chance :D

I'm looking for a project which will most likely have neither tax or test, so will be a trailer job..

Anything like 500 miles, etc is going to be very expensive...

When I bought the Shuey, I trained down and drove it back and I think that only cost me about £25 in petrol..

For shipping a car, I would recommend uship.com - got a really good deal on moving my car from Wilts to Suffolk. Recommended and cheaper than I thought :)

Cheers, will keep that in mind..(y)

Like I said earlier, the ideal situation would be to find something lying around/hidden away, forgotten, somewhere close to me..

That's a bit of a dream and becoming much less common..

Though there was the 1987 Rover 214 (reported in CCW) found a few weeks ago in a garage, with only 12 miles on the clock, delivery fuel and the wax unmelted on the exhaust system!

Now, finding something like that???:)

Back