General Hello All - A Few Questions...

Currently reading:
General Hello All - A Few Questions...

trissybabes

Hey all

I'm new here (as you've probably guessed) and just thought I'd pop in and say 'hi'.

I just bought my first bog standard Cinq Sporting at the beginning of September and have had great fun with it - cheap to run and insure etc.

Couple of q's though.

This week, the battery light has stayed on while the engine's running. It's not as bright as when you first switch the ignition on, but it's definitely staying on all the time. There's no probs with the battery, i.e. seems to be charging okay, not flat when I come to start next day, all the electrics are okay.

I wondered if anyone here had seen a similar problem - I've read on Car Survey.org that a few Cinq's had a problem with alternators and I wondered if that was my problem. BTW - the alternator belt seems correctly adjusted and nothing looks to be disconnected from the alternator. (I also had some warranty with the car, so if you reckoned it needed replacing, now would be the time to do it!)

Secondly, any ideas about the lack of a rear wash? It wipes okay, but no water. The water is pumping okay from the bottle under the wing (I had to trim and replace the perished pipe after it disgraced itself on the drive), so the water's leaving the bottle, but just not reaching the back windscreen. Is there a known trouble spot for this? I can't see any wet spots under the car when I've tried to use the rear wash wipe and it's definitely not getting to the back of the car, as I've disconnected the pipe near the tailgate just to see if anything splurged out...

Finally, I read the strand here about the insurance prices some of you guys had.

Eye watering doesn't seem to be enough.

I got my insurance from www.elephant.co.uk (I'm a 29yo male living in Cornwall - fully comp insurance (protected) and it set me back £210. - pop over and have a look).

Cheers all - I look forward to popping by very regularly!

Tris

Welcome to the forum.

The wash problem sounds like you may have a bust non-return valve in the line, on mine it's just under the bonnet catch, a little round thing with a triangle on it. Try to disconnect the outlet side of it and see if anything comes out when you wash.

Alternator - sounds like a dodgy regulator to me - I'd get it back in to be done on the warranty.

BTW, I paid £187:)

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group
Clubcento

Cheers for that - I'll have a dig around under the bonnet tomorrow...

I'll let you know more as I get it...

Pete - who did your insurance - or would that be telling? ;)

Tris

Hi again - update for y'all...

Rear wash wipe not working was indeed a dodgy valve, right where Pete suggested. Renewed the valve at our local FIAT dealer for a rip-off price of 74p. (Joke).

So I can now see those Vectras tailgating me. Might just aim the jet up at windscreen level to give them a douse when they get too close...

Alternator problem is a bit more serious.

Took it in for a check (this was a rip off. We were told to come in at 4.00 which we did, we were kept waiting 1/2 an hour before anyone dealt with us, the we had to wait 1/2 an hour before they even looked at the car. The mechanic was under the bonnet for 10 minutes, then the car was left for another 1/2 hour, moved out of the garage and we were left for another 20 minutes before he came back and told us the alternator was buggered. It wasn't charging at a high enough rate, which means the battery will eventually go flat and the dash light remains on faintly.

I could have told him that myself. Plus they charged me £23 for the 10 minutes of poking under the bonnet and sampling their uncomfortable customer waiting area for 2 hours.

So, upshot is that they may not accept the warranty that was given with the car (with Car Care - anyone heard of them?) If the warranty isn't accepted, it'll cost me £160 for them to do it, so I'll take it elsewhere. I'm waiting to hear from them now.

We're over a hole here in Cornwall, as there are only 2 dealers in the county, one in Hayle (where we went yesterday) and one in Penzance. The nearest one the other way is Plymouth!

So I'm not that impressed with the world of Fiat dealers yet. More as I get it...

[xx(]

Well, I've finally been fixed - as it were.

It was done under warranty, thank God and all appears to be good again, it's even running quieter too...

They did say to me as the job was finished that the fan belt 'was a bit frayed, but nothing to worry about'. Well I had to sit and wait while the job was done and if they'd have said, I'd willingly have bought a new one for them to refit.

Still, must have been more than their job's worth to have come and told me...

I also had to buy another plastic splashguard for the driver's side, which was £8.00, not too bad, but a bitch to fit.

the screw on the wheel arch was fine, it was the one at the bottom of the sill that wouldn't budge, even after a soaking with good old WD40. Then the head of the screw rounded of so it just wouldn't move - the head sheared off and I had to drill it in the end. 4 drill bits later and the ahaft of the screw was still in there, but I had a deep enough hole to put a new screw into.

It was only meant to be a 10 minute job - ended up taking 2 hours! If I had hair, it would have made me go bald...

;)

HAHAR! A fellow Cornishman! That makes.... er.... *looks at fingers* THREE! :D Welcome to the forum.

I didnt know there was a Fiat dealer in Penzance... only the one in St Erth (Hayle). Anyhoo im N432 KFV so if ya see me around hoot hello!

Cinq Newbie!

96 N Cinqo Sporting
Rosso Sporting Red

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by elchinko
HAHAR! A fellow Cornishman! That makes.... er.... *looks at fingers* THREE! :D Welcome to the forum.

I didnt know there was a Fiat dealer in Penzance... only the one in St Erth (Hayle). Anyhoo im N432 KFV so if ya see me around hoot hello!

Cinq Newbie!

96 N Cinqo Sporting
Rosso Sporting Red

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey elchinko!

I'm in the Camborne area - M805 LPD.

I was at Godrevy the first night I bought it and saw a red Sporting coming out of the car park flashing like a mad 'un! I tooted back as loud as poss - not exactly the loudest thing, the old Cinq horn - must upgrade to a two tone air horn...

I'll keep an eye out for ya...

The Penzance dealer - I never knew there was one there either - I read about it in the FIAT literature that's left littering the waiting area. I didn't see an address or contact number and can't find anything about it on the FIAT website, so I don't know if it's been closed...

It would seem a bit dippy having 2 dealers within 5 miles of each other at the extreme end of the County.

Still, this is Cornwall - anything goes eh? ;)

Arf arf! Well we all know how stoopid Fiat dealers can be!

I'm in the Truro/Redruth/Camborne areas alot so i'll try to squeek my horn as loud as poss if i see ya. I can assure you it wasn't me at Godrevy, I don't do 'parking' in such open areas hehe!

Anyway hope ur Cinq is treating you well!

Cinq Newbie!

96 N Cinqo Sporting
Rosso Sporting Red

my water for the rear washer jet ended up coming outta the rear c pillar, when i tried to turn the nozzle to the side[}:)]

my battery doesn't seem to want to stay charged either, but the fact that my amp is wired str8 to my battery, it likes 2 drain power.:(

Originally posted by tom johnston
my battery doesn't seem to want to stay charged either, but the fact that my amp is wired str8 to my battery, it likes 2 drain power.:(

isnt it wired through the head unit cause if it is it turns of when the head unit is turned off

Seicento Sporting,
Modified Front Bumper,
GT Wing Roof Spoiler - NOW STOLEN,
Abarth Side Skirts,
4" Powerflow Exhaust System,
Standard Alloys...oops.
WANTED:Nice set of 14" or 15" Alloy Wheels PM Me With Any Info

trissybabes said:
Hi again - update for y'all...

We're over a hole here in Cornwall, as there are only 2 dealers in the county, one in Hayle (where we went yesterday) and one in Penzance. The nearest one the other way is Plymouth!

[xx(]

There's the new Vospers in St.Austell which is now fiat and ford.

elchinko said:

Cinq Newbie!

96 N Cinqo Sporting
Rosso Sporting Red

Always see lots of Stilos whenever I'm holiday in Marazion - maybe there are just visitors like me. Whenever I hoot for flash - I get strange looks :eek:

Back