Technical Heating - Blowing Cold Air - Fan Ok

Currently reading:
Technical Heating - Blowing Cold Air - Fan Ok

puntopower2973

(1)
Major problems with the heating on a Punto 60 Sreg. Is blowing cold air. Have tested the fan and is working ok. Have tested the circuit across the thermostat and there is no circuit; as far as I know there be a circuit when at the right temp, ie. when engine needs cooling switches > creates circuit and brings the fan on? Correct me if I am wrong about that ??
However, I have wired the fan, so that when out and about its running constantly, even when engine is switched off, just to keep it cool....BUT....
I would have thought that doing this would have then supplied hot air to the car interior, but it doesn't?? WHY WHY WHY?
Have seen a few postings on here but none seem too clear on this, whats right or wrong, maybe no def answer, but some body must know !!!
Anything else I need to try?
Any idea's anybody?
(2)
Also, this may be un-connected, but when setting off, you can hear a whirring noise, a very low, high pitched noise whirring.... only lasts a few minutes then seems to pass? Any idea's on this one guys and gals???? And its not bearings.
Only had the car a few weeks :bang: :cry: pls help !!! Cos'Im :confused:

Cheers for any helpers !!! (y)

I take it your setting the heater on as hot and is still blowing cold air, I think it may a head gasget failure, Please correct me if I am worng

If the thermo switch for the fan failed at some point and the engine got too hot the head gasket has more than likely blown. This would explain the cold heater with hot engine problem. Sounds like head gasket time Im afraid.

Rich.

HI all responders.........

Cheers guys, but can you tell me how to check if it is the head gasket that has gone?
Is there anyway I can test or check this for a def-O answer to the problem?

Many Thanks (n)

richcinq said:
If the thermo switch for the fan failed at some point and the engine got too hot the head gasket has more than likely blown. This would explain the cold heater with hot engine problem. Sounds like head gasket time Im afraid.

Rich.

Cheers guys, but can you tell me how to check if it is the head gasket that has gone?
Is there anyway I can test or check this for a def-O answer to the problem?

sounds like youve possibly got an air lock in cooling system check oil filler cap for white mayo and same with dipstick? does it overheat? misfire ? warm your engine and feel temp difference in top and bottom radiator hoses if you can

Last edited:
pid119 said:
sounds like youve possibly got an air lock in cooling system check oil filler cap for white mayo and same with dipstick? does it overheat? misfire ? warm your engine and feel temp difference in top and bottom radiator hoses if you can

(y) Hi mate, cheers for the input, ;

no its not mis-firing, but is overheating, have wired fan to be always on, to try and keep engine cool, it is making a strange whirring noise when setting off but this passes within minutes.
Will check the oil filler cap etc, but would the fan still cut in when its overheating? Is the thermostat nackered aswell????

Hi also check the radiator when the engine is cold, check the coolant level if it is well below the minimum mark one signs of head gasket failure,

Hi cheers, thanxs for all the input, but yeah sounds like the gasket failure to me. Thanks

Could possibly be your thermostat...........i had a problem where gradually over a few weeks the engine was running hotter but still cooling when fan kicked in. Suddenly one day temp shot into red when stuck in traffic, fan didnt kick in and pressure started to force the water out of the filler cap. After hours of trying to bleed the system and air seemingly still getting in i started to think the head gasket had gone but i had no oil in the water or water in the oil. After posting in the forums it was suggested i check my thermostat, indeed that was the fault - it had became stuck closed. £15 for a new thermostat and 1hr later i had sorted the problem. Its not a big job to change so take it out, stick in boiling water and test it - you never know it just could save you alot of time and money. Hope you get it sorted

i would say defo heat gasket. exact same problems on my punto and it was heat gasket. wen i had the gasket done the fan cut in normal. it must be something to do with the air lock in the cooling system why the fan didnt kick in on mine

Back