General Heater switch

Currently reading:
General Heater switch

mspeakman

Hi I've read all the past posts on fixing my 55 plate puntos heater and I was looking for some extra advice.

Issue number one is the switch has literally melted inside. I've got another one but I can't fit it because the I can't seem to remove the connector from the back of it. It's either stuck/jammed/melted.
First I was gentle but after three hours I've been as heavy handed with it as I can.

If I cut those wires I'm not going to be able to reach in there to re wire them......

Secondly is there anyway to stop this from reoccurring? I've had this same problem fixed once every year I've had the car. And it always goes come winter. Either the heater doesn't work without fiddling with the switch or it turns itself on and off when it feels like it.

Ill upload some photos in the morning of the switch but any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Usually the switch isnt the issue
Usually its the resistor pack going over resistive or prolonged high temp and slow fan speed causes the loom to melt on the resistor pack / earth return connector

Check your fan is spinning freely
If thats not spinning free, it requires more amps to make it spin
More amps = more heat

A poor connection will also cause excessive resistance and a result more heat melting wires

Check for a high resistance ground as well as u guessed it... could be a cause here

Id rather have it melting **** vs setting fire (stab at vauxhall corsas and zafiras)

Ziggy

Cheers! Yeah I'm sure there more to the story than just the switch but none the less the switch was a burnt pile of ashes!
Here's a photos of the switch now so is there any advice on how to actually get this connector off? IMG_2755.JPG

Cheers! Yeah I'm sure there more to the story than just the switch but none the less the switch was a burnt pile of ashes!
Here's a photos of the switch now so is there any advice on how to actually get this connector off?View attachment 176835
There is a flick down tab near that green tracer wire

Iirc u push it down while pulling apart... mine was a real bitch todo...

Ziggy

Yeah I've been doing that and I've had no luck, the tab goes down but it's not having any effect. I think the plastic has melted together inside. I spoke to an electrician today who said I need to get the whole wire replaced. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being completely stupid and missing something.

Thanks very much

Matt

Yeah I've been doing that and I've had no luck, the tab goes down but it's not having any effect. I think the plastic has melted together inside. I spoke to an electrician today who said I need to get the whole wire replaced. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being completely stupid and missing something.

Thanks very much

Matt
Now if the wiring plug and fans socket have both gotten stupidly hot they do yes fuse together
Sometimes u havr to force them apart

Never having fully rewired a fan system
Id be tempted to say get a scrappy loom in good condition and see how you take it apart before attacking yours
I dont think that loom is friendly to replace tbh... never really tried..

I just usually cut damaged out with new

Ziggy

Back