General Heater Problem

Currently reading:
General Heater Problem

excursion_uk

ive been having a bit of trouble with the heater in my Uno

model

fiat uno 1994 999cc fire SPI

ive tried bleeding the water pump, near roasted my fingers while doing so, but the air is still pretty cold, i think it might be a problem with a pump or somit,

can some one shed light on the problem, dont fancy a broken heater with winter coming in. thanx

Try looking for a bleed screw in the piping behind the throttle body - it's return from the heater: assuming your setup is similar to 999cc fire SPI Panda.

If you have one of these, you will probably need to rev it up a bit to get sufficient push from the pump to fill the heater, as it's the highest point in the system.

Please make sure you have the heater control on the dash set to HOT when bleeding the system and that the cable from the heater control is moving the valve on the side of the heater unit.

ok, tried bleeding the system water flows nicely from the pipe but still no warm air water is really hot, temprature is still cold, water and oil levels are sitting fine so dont mention HEAD GASKET.

the cable from the heater control is moving the valve on the side of the heater unit.

humm i think this might be the problem, when i turn the knob on the dash it sounds really bad, clicking like its not catching, but i took the board of and turned it... there is a cog or somit that looking like a cog moving in the back so its turing somit. but i dont no how to check the cable is still attached, do i remove the entire dashboard? or is there an easier way.

I'm confused.

If it's how the Panda is...

The valve stops the water flowing through the heater matrix to give cool air.
The bleed screw is in the return pipe.
If it's v. hot on the return pipe the matrix must be getting hot.

Maybe 2 and 2 is twenty-two for me tonight :I

i think its a basic problem, the knob that ya turn to make the heater hot is buggered, but i havnt the foggest how to fix it. ill have to read up on it

I must write to say thankyou guys.

The heater of my Uno 1991 stopped heating few weeks ago.

Then I followed the tips given in this thread and now my heater is heating perfectly.

I bled the pipes and topped up the cooler and now it is heating fine.

Thanks a lot John H., Pete and all people who helped in this topic

Last edited:
Good to know Roberto! :)

Welcome to the forum...
Out of interest I tried a quick search for 'heater valve'. I clicked where it says 'Search', then clicked 'Advanced Search', typed in the text 'heater valve' and selected the Uno forum (including sub-forums).

This was one of the results:
https://www.fiatforum.com/uno-technical/47177-uno-heater-probs.html?highlight=heater+valve

Not trying to blow my own trumpet, honest (Chas gave the more useful advice on that thread) but it just shows we have covered heaters a few times in the past! Quite a common challenge.

Back in the summer I was roasting because my heater was not shutting off fully. Now it's the winter here, and suddenly it's become less of a priority to fix it... ;)

-Alex

Sorry for the late reply i had this exact problem with my heater,

The problem is that the cold-hot knob isnt turning the valve

The knob on the right (air) sould feel the same as the one on the left (lots of little clicks)
The wires cross behind the centre console and infront of the heater matrix so the right knob moves a valve on the left and vise versa so to fix your problem put your head in the drivers side footwell (RHD) take off the plastic cover above the pedals (only one nut and one screw) you may also need to take the foot rest on the left out (how comfy is that rest!) now you will see that there is a cable about a foot from the floor that the heat knob is attatched to now mess around pushing and pulling the lever that the cable is connected to one is open and one is closed, hey presto you will have heat!

If its broken like mine the knob will pull the valve closed(cold) but it wont pull it open again so when you put the dash back you will always have heat coz when you turn it it goes back to cold - you get the idea!!

In summary its not the knob but the connection of the cable to the valve

Good luck hope its not too late,Will.

Good luck hope its not too late,Will.

Great post Will! :)
Well it's never too late to help someone else with a heater problem, especially the Mk2... however, with the original posts now two-and-a-half years old... ah well, you get the idea! <LOL>

We should start making some sort of FAQ with this info, or at least a set of 'useful searches' - assuming the database lasts forever.

-Alex

I hope this site continues its helped me loads!

Wish my uno would last forever gets a bit like fire fighting at times doesn't it!

It puts a smile on my face every morning, and a frown on everyone behind me!

Back