Technical Heater motor not working!!

Currently reading:
Technical Heater motor not working!!

Ash25

Hi everyone first time poster here,

Had a browse through the forum and can't seem to find anyone with the same problem as me!

So basically i have the mk2 W reg 1.2 8V elx. Only had it a couple of weeks and the temperature gauge started to shoot up during the cold weather but cold air was blowing out of the heater.

First thing i thought was an air lock, thermostat or head gasket. Checked the oil and water and they were fine so ruled out gasket as no misfiring either.

I decided to drain and flush the radiator and while i was at it i took out the thermostat. Checked it and it seemed a bit slow at opening under boiling water so decided to run the car without it in for a bit with some radflush in. The temperature seemed fine then (obviously a little cooler than normal but due to no thermostat). I then drained the radiator again got a new thermostat in and refilled with water and coolant.

Started the car and the temperature is perfectly normal now so all good ...

Nope! because for some reason now the heater system doesnt blow any air at all! Im very inexperienced at mechanics and only know the basic stuff but checked all the fuses from both boxes and they're all fine. Also no water in the passenger footwell to hint at the heater matrix?

Is this linked to what i've done but that doesnt make any sense to me or is it a really annoying coincidence? obviously really annoying in this cold weather and dangerous to drive because I can't clear the windows! any ideas?

Thanks for your help
Ash

Last edited:
Might still be an airlock in heater system.

Did you unscrew the bleed screw in the small hose kinda underneath the throttle body? Is a big black headed plastic screw with a flat bladed screw driver slot in it, and knurled on the outside diameter. Turn engine off, unscrew that fill the rad with water until a steady stream of water comes from that screw then close it off. Top up rad. Should then be bled properly.

Can you hear the heater fan work on all the different speed settings? If this is working and the car isn't losing water (damp carpets etc) then your heater should be fine and the air lock was the cause.

D.

Back