Technical Heater matrix problem

Currently reading:
Technical Heater matrix problem

bpco

I've been hearing "bubble sound" from my heater matrix for 6 months now.
When I removed it from the car I found out that it was clogged with antifreeze mud. Aparently the previous owner had never changed the antifreeze liquid while in his possession. After I cleaned the matrix the sound stopped. Here are some pics :

Attachments

• CIMG0942.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 84
hi friends!
i've also had a problem with a leaking matrix and my mechanic simply bypassed it.
now i wanted to fix it so i started taking the hole dashboard apart according to Haynes manual but i'm stuck now. i've removed the entire centre console but can't find a way to remove the heater element or any of that...
attached are some pictures...
if anyone could help me in what i need to take apart next... :D

thanks,
Tzvika

Attachments

• car 006.jpg
    car 006.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 28
  • car 007.jpg
    car 007.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 38
  • car 008.jpg
    car 008.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 31
  • car 010.jpg
    car 010.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 30
  • car 009.jpg
    car 009.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 34
I'm sure I changed the heater matrix on a mk1 simpy by sliding it out of the side of the heater box in the footwell :confused: I don't remember having to removed the dashboard. Going by your pictures (left hand drive), you should be able to remove it from the passenger footwell :confused: It was so long ago I forget what was involved :eek:

the thing is i think you're suppose to remove the entire housing of the matrix as well, which requires taking out the entire centre console (see the pictures by bpco and you can see the entire housing is out of the car - and that's what i need to do...

Tzvika

I am not familiar with Mk2 central console layout, but on Mk1, the console is attached by 2 extra screws not mentioned in Haynes.
They are located at about 1/2 of the console height and very hard to remove without removing the dashboard first. If you do not do this, then:
Left one is accessible after you carefully tilt the plastic between steering wheel and the center console, the other one is accessible only after you drill circa 15 mm hole in the left side of the glove compartment box.
I will try to provide some pictures, the description above does not seem to be informative enough...:(

yeah, i know these screws ( a friend told me about them) they've been removed.
i just don't know which screws to remove to get the heater unit out.
as you can see in the pictures the entire central console is already out - that wasn't a problem.

Thanks,
Tzvika

There are 4 10mm nuts holding the entire assembly against the firewall and another screw at the top (need to remove a little cover in the junk tray on the dash board.

Then the heater unit falls out (assuming the pipes are disconnected)

The matrix is then held in by 2 screws, remove these and the matrix slides out (not to willingly though)

But since you have a left hand drive car I think you should be able to simply remove the matrix from the heater unit with it still in the car (rhd cars have the steering and pedals in the way)

Back