Technical Heater fan directional settings not working

Currently reading:
Technical Heater fan directional settings not working

hesablade

Help! I've checked other threads but can't find a similar problem. I recently changed the heater blower in my (non climate control/non ac) Panda 1.2 dynamic. The old one had stopped working on all speeds and helpful threads found herein did the trick. All good I thought. Heater fan blower works fine again (well, I can hear it getting stronger as I move the switch up through the settings) but now the flow of air through all the vents is tiny and doesn't blow stronger as I turn the power up. Hmmm, confused am I. Logic says I may have knocked the direction flaps (!?) out of kilter (if that is possible) so that now nothing blows from any grilles (windscreen, face, feet, etc.) no matter the speed, heat or air direction settings.
Does anyone have an inkling as to what I should fiddle with??:confused:

Although I wouldn't expect the pollen filter to be the culprit, as it is presumably the one you had installed before you started the job, I took mine out completely and now get far more response from the fan on all settings.
The filter I removed was clean and in good condition.

According to the mechanic who ordered the new heater blower for me, my Panda doesn't have a pollen filter due to it not being climate control/air con. I haven't looked into that yet to check whether his facts are correct.
I'm not sure where the filter would be to check it anyway! I guess that's the next step for having a poke about under the dash.

According to the mechanic who ordered the new heater blower for me, my Panda doesn't have a pollen filter due to it not being climate control/air con. I haven't looked into that yet to check whether his facts are correct.
I'm not sure where the filter would be to check it anyway! I guess that's the next step for having a poke about under the dash.

It's in the driver's footwell, at the back on the side of centre console. It can be a pig to get out on RHD cars, as the steering column gets in the way. Obviously, on LHD cars, it would have been in the passenger footwell and therefore easy to access.

Cheers Matt, I get myself wedged in there and have a play. It's wierd, but when I turn the temp control on the dash from fully hot to extreme cold, I can hear the air being restricted somehow as if the flaps that change the direction of the air are not moving correctly (or at all). I guess it's some sort of flap anyway! Something that moves the air direction from heat and fan to just the fan only. I'll put my results on this forum for others to see.

Well it seems the mechanic was correct and that non-air con models do not have a pollen filter. There's a glued on panel in place of the 'two-screws' removable slim panel behind the steering column. Back to the drawing board. I've run power through the fan and it's blasting fine - I can't see a blockage anywhere. Stumped.

If anyone else ever has a similarly confusing situation after fitting a new heater blower; I can only assume that in my case the replacement fan isn't as strong at blowing air around the car as the factory fitted original. I've searched and prodded around and without taking the entire system to pieces I cannot fathom the reason why there's a difference since the swap. Some people suggest changing the pollen filter but I've assertained that non-air con models don't have one. I can just about tell that the air is coming from a different direction when I move the direction selector on the dash and the heat changes when I move the temp dial. So all appears to be working - it's just a bit feeble. I'll have to invest in a wiping cloth for those cold mornings! Perhaps I should have asked for a genuine Fiat original part (expensive??).:(

Last edited:
If anyone else ever has a similarly confusing situation after fitting a new heater blower; I can only assume that in my case the replacement fan isn't as strong at blowing air around the car as the factory fitted original. I've searched and prodded around and without taking the entire system to pieces I cannot fathom the reason why there's a difference since the swap. Some people suggest changing the pollen filter but I've assertained that non-air con models don't have one. I can just about tell that the air is coming from a different direction when I move the direction selector on the dash and the heat changes when I move the temp dial. So all appears to be working - it's just a bit feeble. I'll have to invest in a wiping cloth for those cold mornings! Perhaps I should have asked for a genuine Fiat original part (expensive??).:(

Assuming the fan is spinning, it sounds like air is leaking/diverting elsewhere.

Time to get medical I think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-7-10M...pment_Instruments_ET&var=&hash=item4d225ae220

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yeah, it's spinning. I had it out and powered it up to make sure. Drat - I was never any good at disection!

Hmmm I seem to have been having a directional issue in the last week. It's never had a problem, got a full service last Saturday, then when I got my feet wet on Sunday and got in to dry them off, there wasn't much air at my feet (drivers seat) but passenger side was more. Didn't think much of it, but during the week the windscreen really struggled to clear.

Will I need to prod my pollen filter so see if that improves things?

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Back